Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinfoilhat

Dancing Crane

tinfoilhat
11 years ago

Things are getting slow on the forum and I don't want to seem like I'm trying to dominate it but I just couldn't wait any longer to post this. I love the shadow this casts.

{{gwi:194383}}

{{gwi:194384}}

This helped get rid of some of the clutter on my welding table but I really need to get a wire welder if I'm going to be be making 100's of 1/4" welds. Hope I didn't miss any.

{{gwi:194385}}

Comments (11)

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

Your dancing crane is wonderful. I love it. Please continue to create and post. You brighten many a day with your designs. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Good Heavens Jack....now you've gone and done it....you have successfully turned me green with envy! L-O-V-E this creation! The body is totally awesome and you are right...the shadow it casts is amazing! You welded every one of the "feathers" onto his wings, didn't you? I can't even imagine how much time that took. All I can say is WOW!

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

I love it!!!

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

OMG how beautiful and steampunky!!! Love it. You are so creative.

• imjustsam
    11 years ago

Your creations always make me smile, but this is by far one of the Most Fantastic creatures I have seen. She looks like something I would see at an art installation. I absolutely Love Her.Don't get rid of too many of your welding pieces, your imagination is far too rich to slow down any time soon.

• tinfoilhat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those feathers are made from the steel wire straps they use to hold cotton bales together. They are 1/8" dia. spring steel and after welding very brittle. So naturally the first thing people do when they walk up to the bird is strum the feathers like they are a harp and break them off. To keep me from jumping up and down and screaming like a mad man(and making them feel bad) when they break them I take a torch and heat each one and relieve welding stress and make them less brittle. Waving a torch over them makes each individual rod dance all over the place ruining spacing. (Which does make me jump up and like a mad man.)
    I have a love/hate relationship with the 1,000's of feet of rusty baling straps I have. There are so many things I could build with 1/8" rod and the price is right but they are a pain in the....... Forgot to mention, Crane is 79" tall and 68" wide.

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

I love it. The shadow is amazing. I always touch things, my friends scold me for it.

I know nothing about welding. Can you pre heat or prepare the strapping ahead of time?

Don't stop posting! And don't worry about dominating. The forum has its ups and downs. Your continued posts will help to bring it back if anything.

Kathy

• chickiebabeblue
    11 years ago

Think this guy could fly to Wisconsin? This is your best yet; he is amazing. You have SKILLS!

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

That is gorgeous! Go ahead and post as much as you like.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

WoW Tinfoil, you are Amazing! Love this one!!! I am grateful you are posting, I am getting tired of a certain type of Garden Junk, just cuz I am used to this forum being more diverse in creations....but also I am on other forums on Garden Web and they are slower than molasses on a cold day too! I have cast 3 concrete leaves, but nothing worth posting....so am glad you are keeping the eye candy coming!!! LOVE the shadows on this one!!! I hope you keep it in a spot where it can show off like that! Love seeing it on the welding table like that too!

• jab65
    11 years ago

I love your creations. The crane is fantastic. Keep posting!!