Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
big_deck

Posting to those that probably know!

big_deck
10 years ago

Scroll Saw Turtle Pattern

He's Back!

Now that the Big_Desk is completed and in use, I have graduated from Big_Deck's to a 'significant' interest in garden turtles!

Matter of fact, my 'bestest' friend from here (Marlene - just don't call her Mildred) commissioned someone (toomuchglass?) from here to make me my most prized inanimate object!

I have seen these two similar works of art and am interested in taking the 'frame' from the one on the left and using the 'body' of the one (two, actually) on the right - and making a Scroll Saw pattern and making it a winter project.

I am going to try to find a small (10x12 or so) sheet of white Lexan and having a go at it! From prior experience I will probably need Several sheets before I get it right.

The intention is to attach the final outcome to one of the posts that lead onto our Big_Deck and I will figure out the mounting problem when I get there.

The first step is to try to find a pattern that has either the turtle in either of the two shown - I can live with either, but I am having no success in the search.

Anyone seen one or know where I might find one?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• big_deck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Opps - here's the image of the Topic!

• big_deck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And, last but not least, here is my only other venture in using a Scroll Saw!

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Ah! There you are...you must have posted after I checked out the forum yesterday. Many of the "old timers" are no longer around, but there are a few who still lurk from time to time. We have a lot of newer folks who are very talented as well, so maybe they will be able to help with a pattern.

• Rusty
    10 years ago

Well, I'll have to look through my wood patterns,
    But I doubt I have a turtle.
    I've never used a scroll saw,
    Used to think I wanted one,
    Until I realized how time consuming
    Cutting with them must be.
    I'm not the most patient person in the world,
    So I've stuck with things I can do on my band saw.

I do have an idea, though. . . .

Could you save one of the pictures you posted,
    Put it into a photo program,
    Or maybe a program like "Paint",
    And enlarge it to the size you want,
    And print it out?

Maybe if you want larger than your printer will handle,
    You could put it on a disc or flash drive,
    And take it to a print shop to print out for you.

Rusty

• Rusty
    10 years ago

I checked through all of my wood patters,
    And sorry to report there is nothing even vaguely resembling
    the turtle you want to make.

I do hope you will check back in here & let us know
    what you end up doing.
    Hopefully with pictures!

Rusty

• big_deck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just took my trusty old Paint Shop Pro and did some radical cutting and pasting and rotating, etc and came up with this pattern. Took into Office Depot where they 'blew it up' to fit my maximum width dimension of 11ý" and will now have to figure out how to either 'transfer' the image to the pieces of Lexan than I bought OR cut out (painstakenly) all the cutout areas (in black - though the total outside area will also be gone) and then spray or something to get my pattern placed.

Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Now, the final cutting is a whole 'nothing matter, which is why I bought multiple pieces of white Lexan :-)

Hope the next post is the finished product!

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Do you know anyone with an overhead projector? (Like they use in schools) You could print that last black and white onto a see through piece of plastic and project it and get whatever size you want.
    My husband does his portrait pumpkins this way and we've done a life sized photo this way. Good luck! Nancy

• rangerdon
    10 years ago

Overhead projectors often show up at auctions for $5 or less. Here in southern Colorado they usually go for a buck.
    Don

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?