Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blameitontherain

Ideas for Non-Cutesy Gifts? And a lot of them!

blameitontherain
16 years ago

H'lo All.

This may not be exactly on topic, but you guys all have such great ideas, thought I'd turn to you first:

For the past few Christmases, I have made 200-300 small gifts for my clients. "Small" as in physically small (easy and inexpensive to mail) and under five bucks or so. They need to be appealing to both genders, so I never send anything cutesy or flower-y. I'm all tapped out of ideas this year and don't want to disappoint my little crowd. Any crafty ideas?

Thank you for your help!

Rain

Comments (23)

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm think'n.....
    What about some pictures of your flowers that are printed on postcards.... you know you take the photo have it printed up at KINKO's and then the people get two gifts......
    some of your garden photos and a blank post card or greeting note to send on to someone else...
    it's a thought..
    But just wait
    Kirk got 67 answers/post to some of his stuff...
    there is no telling H O W many thoughts are in these creative peoples minds.... it will be great to see the ideas !!!! I can barely wait !!!!!!
    Gee what a blessing !!
    God Bless You and Your Family !!
    God Bless America !
    Grammie Jean
    susiesunshine

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Susie's idea for note cards is a good one.

What are some of the things you have already made in the past? That might help us to come up with new ideas and not just repeats of things you have already done.

Are you wanting Christmas themed items? Or just any item that would work for men or women?

Also you might try posting this question on the crafts forum. Those ladies are very creative too.

My first thought was mugs with hot chocolate or cider mixes in them--but not sure about the weight for mailing them.

I'll be back later to read your answer and to try to think of something good to suggest.

Luvs

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Hey there!
    I'm sorry about the idea... having flowers ... when you said
    NOT FLOWERY !.... sorry but remember GUYS like to send flowers to GALS!!! -
    I guess I'm still stuck on the fact that YOU MAKE 200 - to 300 gifts each year.... then mail them... W O W I'm so impressed !! that is amazing...
    One other thing I was think'n was maybe those heat in the microwave things... with uncooked rice... or with DeerCorn
    they are HOT PACKS..... we use them in our family all the time.....
    just a thought..
    although...
    the note card/postcard thing is cheaper to mail and requires a lot less time... like with the one time printing etc
    NOW>>> Luvs idea for the hot chocolate deal sounds LIKE
    A COZY VISIT IN THE MAKING !!! ( don't forget to put me on the list !!!!)
    Have a Blessed Day !
    and have fun making A L L those gifts
    (guess curb shopping for 200/ or 300 gifts is out of the question ! - (( sorry I couldn't resist !!!)) )
    susiesunshine

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

One more though **** perhaps print out a calendar and put the meaningful picture on it...
    just a thought... we have done this one before-- you can print out various calendars on line. Soon lots of people will give you great ideas
    God Bless !
    susiesunshine

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, Susiesunshine, your name is certainly apt! You seem like such a kind, cheerful person. Thank you so much for your ideas!

Luvs, the mug/chocolate kit idea sounds really good, although I will have to check out how much it would cost to mail. Each year seems the postage costs more than the gifts! ;- )

Past gifts included: Refrigerator magnets made of wine corks from a big party the year before that were cut in half and had a bitty logo woodburned on; a spice mix meant as a meat rub poured inside those little metal watchmaker tins; beach pebble paperweights with various symbols of good fortune printed on them (horseshoe,lucky 7, $, etc.), tucked inside a watchmaker tin.

Great idea, Luvs, to let you all know what was done in the past. A theme emerges: I really like putting things inside other, potentially useful objects. Presentation means a lot, especially when the gift itself is so inexpensive and generic. I do try to recycle/use found objects, hence the wine corks and pebbles from my favorite beach.

All your ideas will be much welcome!

Thank you,

Rain

• kirkus
    16 years ago

I often have my elementary students make a small magnet for their parents. We use clear "stones" (some are heart shaped) from Michael's. We hodgepodge a picture on the back and add a magnet. Simple but pretty. My wife Carol is a quilter and makes these very simple but cool coasters for each of my parent helpers, using fabric scraps. It's a nifty pattern she uses. We tuck a tea bag in the coaster. Can't wait to hear people's ideas! Good luck! Kirk

• superiorgirl2
    16 years ago

Candy. A couple of pieces of fudge or other homemade candy would be my ideal gift. Put it either in a cello bag or other special little container. Dollar stores usually have the decorative bags. Iced cut out cookies would be another favorite, but may not mail so well. What about a cinnamon ornament? Mix applesauce and enough cinnamon to get a dough you can roll and cut out. Roll 1/4" thick, cut with cookie cutters, poke a hole for a hanging ribbon with a straw, dry, decorate.

• luvs2click
    16 years ago

Here's a link from another board I frequent - tons of ideas here if you have the time to read them.

Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Lori's Inexpensive Gift Ideas

• sweetkountry
    16 years ago

Go back to your beach pebbles- paint and add a magnet.You can make into flowers, spiders, ladybugs, etc. or make them Christmasy. They look nice on the fridge.

• tennesseekathy
    16 years ago

You could buy wildflower seed in bulk from somewhere like wildseed farms and print the free seed envelope templates that are on the internet and package them or herb seed in bulk would be nice.

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

Are angels gender neutral? Here's a very simple bead one that you could recycle from bead necklaces picked up at thrift shops. I think you could add it to something else or add a poem tomake it nice. http://home.flash.net/~mjtafoya/projects/angel/angel.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of this link for a paper clip bookmark. This is just a basic idea. You could dress it up with snowmen cutouts or something else to make it more professional. This might also be the place to reuse those pretty Christmas cards that we throw away every year. http://www.cwti.org/AFFT/MCF/newsletter/v7i3/mcf_pg5.htm

• sweetkountry
    16 years ago

If you raise herbs you could harvest and dry, package in small containers. Then find recipes that uses the herbs and attach.
    Make sachets out of dried lavender, mint and etc.
    Or if you raise beans, you could dry the beans and package enough for one meal, add a recipe for bean soup.
    If you didn't raise these this year, you might plan ahead for next year.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Blameitontherain - may I please ask, what kind of clients do you have that you make 200-300 little gifts for? I'm just curious, that's a lot of crafts to make.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

If you want lighter weight you might make cocoa cones instead of the cups. You can find the instructions and pictures (and even a cone bag source plus Wilton sell them) On the same forum to the Lori's list, just do a search there.
    You might even search for 'brownie in a mug' and 'fudge in a mug'. Package the mix nicely and let them use their own mug to save the shipping.

That said I am going to complain again----
    This should have been on the conversations side.

• sweetkountry
    16 years ago

Let them share a drink with you. Package spices for eggnog, attach a recipe. If you wanted you can even find the small sample bottles of alcohol to mix with it.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

WOW! These are the greatest ideas:) If you're going for inexpensive, I love TennesseeKathy's idea of wildflower seeds in the envelope. I've seen where you can print these out for free all over the internet:) I also love Superiorgirls idea of cinnamon ornaments,and as matter of fact I made some last night!!! This is a recipe I used years ago,and the ornaments really last,they don't rot or mildew in the heat and humidity here. I will give the recipe. I made 48 2" hearts and 2 3" stars,only the stars kinda came out like starfish:). They will smell nice for years! And they dried out overnight. A little hint....use more cinnamon to sprinkle if it's too sticky,the cornstarch makes them too white, and really knead the dough til it cools.You have to use it within 30 minutes.

Now,what I always make at Christmas time is soup in a jar. All year I collect baskets at yard sales,and if I'm lucky to find wide mouth mason jars, I buy those,too,but they're cheap enough:) And like someone else mentioned, I buy the bakery bags at the dollar store,you get 8 bags for $1. I make something called I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas Soup mix I found on the internet,and make the rice bags like Sunshine mentioned:) Those are so great! I make a square one with 4 compartments,and I make a long rectangular one with 4 compartments. I use mine all the time! I found these on the internet for a get-well package. You could use leftover turkey at holiday time to make the soup,but I always add a can of chicken so all the ingredients are there. Recipe for this in the link. I print out the recipe on nice paper,and attach with raffia. Cut out a nice circle of fabric if you want for the jar lid. If I make the rice buddy, I use the same fabric for the jar.

NON-EDIBLE!!!
    Cinnamon Applsesauce Ornaments
    3/4 cup applesauce
    1 packet unflavored gelatin
    1 jar cinnamon(1.9oz) I buy the cinnamon at the dollar store at 2/$1 and its over 2oz in a jar,so I use half a jar,then use more to sprinkle on when I roll them out.
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    3 tablespoons ground cloves
    Combine applesauce and gelatin in small saucepan and let stand for 3 minutes. heat over medium heat constantly stirring just til simmering.
    combine cinnamon,cornstarch and cloves in separate bowl. Stir in applesauce mixture. Turn onto counter and knead a f ew turns. Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. use within 30 minutes. Roll dough between sheets of plastic wrap to a scant 1/4" thickness. Cut ornaments using 2 inch cookie cutters. Use a straw to cut holes for hanging. dry on wire rack overnight. Reroll scraps and repeat cutting. These are great! Also THESE ARE NON-EDIBLE!!
    and here's the link for the soup mix,everyone loves this soup! we add fresh celery and carrots,and everyone starts asking before Christmas if we're making it again!
    Crispix Puppy Chow
    12 oz. box Crispix cereal
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup peanut butter
    12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips
    2 to 3 cups powdered sugar

In medium microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips and microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once during cooking, until mixture is melted and smooth. Place the cereal in another large bowl and pour the melted mixture over the cereal. Stir until the cereal is thoroughly coated. Pour the powdered sugar into a large plastic food bag. Pour the coated cereal into the powdered sugar and shake until it is well covered with the sugar. Pour the cereal onto wax paper to cool and dry. Store in tightly covered containers at room temperature

This recipe is fast and easy and everyone loves it. I add a little more roasted peanuts. Put them in a nice little bakery bag and it's a great gift!

Something else I make is a milk bath sachet. I found where to print up beautiful envelopes and I bought a stack of vellum paper at a yard sale to print them on for a dime:) I'll probably never use all the paper I bought! I make soap to go with it and a candle. Here is the link!

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemade-gifts/oatmeal-milk-bath.shtml

Hope everyone finds these recipes and ideas helpful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas Soup in a jar

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, My!

I forgot to check the auto email box, so was very pleasantly surprised to see all the messages in my inbox with so many wonderful ideas! Thank you!!

First - Nonacook, please forgive my GW faux pas. I never have posted very often and have been away for a number of years. Thank you for your idea and the gentle nature of your admonishment.

Craftlady-2006, I'm a business attorney, helping people to buy, grow or sell their businesses. Some of the business buyers are new to this country. I started making little gifts just for them to show that the US is a friendly place, but other clients caught wind of the project and wanted in, too.

Sweetkountry, I love the idea of sharing a drink, but 300 of them might be a bit much! ;0) I've contemplated throwing a big party, but another party during the Christmas season seems more of a burden than an enjoyable occasion. Perhaps we could celebrate Christmas in July or something like that.

To everyone else: So many ideas! Should last me several Christmas seasons! I loved Adellabedella's sweet angels made from just three beads. Maybe for my nieces? Seeds for next year, for sure. Have saved some, but not enough to go around.

Thank you all again. You make a girl feel welcome, indeed!

Gratefully,

Rain

• akup_a
    16 years ago

My kids made the perfect, lightweight gift for me when they were little boys, they're 26 & 23 now.
    Their teacher drew tea cups on printing paper and had several copied. Then the kids decorated the cups, cut them out and glued the edges together. This created a pocket. A flavored tea bag was then placed inside the pocket.
    There was a message on the outside of the cup that said something about kids make you stressed so have a cup of tea on me.
    Hope you let us know what you decide.

• nancyjeanmc
    16 years ago

I love the Cocoa Cones. I do a hot cocoa thing like that, then put the bag of mix into a pretty mug. You can buy them new in restaurant supply stores very cheap! (maybe inexpensive sounds better!) One year I also got these mini wisks, but usually I put a candy cane in as a stir stick.
    I love the Christmas in July party idea. You could even ask them to bring a small gift (pair of socks, soap, shampoo, etc) for stocking stuffers that could be sent off early for the troops. I know that these are clients, but it isn't as if you would be asking them to bring something expensive, or for you. (We never have a gathering early enough to pull that off. Maybe next year!)

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

That's a very nice gesture on your part there Rain, very nice. I'm glad to hear that. I was a legal secretary for 17 years,including business law but the most rewarding job was for the criminal lawyer. I applaud you for helping those who come here to realize it is a wonderful place to live and grow and yes, we USA folks are "very" friendly, caring and loving to those in need.

Sal

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

I was at a store and found this bookmark. It is made out of coated wire and has some little beads on it. The beads are on the right side of the flower and one on the upper left. Might be a quick thing to do, even can make a template to bend the wire around...light weight to attach to a card with a greeting and business name.

{{gwi:194654}}

• blameitontherain
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really love the idea of a bookmark, Twomonths! Some of my giftees speak English as a second language and a bookmark may be just the thing to encourage them to read (books in English, I hope!).

Will post a picture of the "winning" project. Thanks again for the kind words and enthusiastic advice.

With a happy skip,

Rain

• beck_wi
    16 years ago

I wish I had a picture to share, when I saw it the first time I busted out laughing..... it's a mouse trap (dangerous part removed) glued to a small board. The words above it said "complaint button"
    You could either wood burn the words in, or hodge podge some paper onto the wood.
    I saw it in a real estate agents office and thought it was very cute.
    I've seen mouse traps at some dollar stores, in a pack of 12....and if you make the back out of thin ply-wood I don't think it would weigh that much. Dont forget some type of stand-- a hole in the bottom with a dowel works for my cheapo picture frames I got from a big box store.

Or, to play with the angel theme. Take a small styrofoam ball, glue a lace doily around the ball and tie under the "neck" with a ribbon that also doubles as a hanger. This covers the ball and then becomes the dress. Cut a silver pipe cleaner in half and bend it for a halo. Insert this into the back of the head. Two more pipe cleaners become the wings. A few hand sticthes attaches them to the back of the dress.

I've also done snowmen. This may be more labor intensive than you're looking for though......Two circles of white fabric, one smaller than the other. Hand stitch all the way around the perimeter of the fabric and pull. As you are pulling, stuff with batting.
    Stitch the head to the body. (a scarf will cover this seam)
    I found that 1/2" white pompons work well for arms, and teeny tiny black ones work for the eyes, mouth and buttons. (stick arms break easy and are not easily attached)
    The nose is created from tooth picks painted orange, to resemble a carrot and glued in once a hole is made.
    For scarves, hats, ear-muffs, etc. I found that a small gingham check, or a tiny striped fabric works well. My hats are 3/4" black felt circles that are "floppy" looking, and glued down. Earmuffs are the easiest, felt circles, with top bands that match the scarf.
    (I tried to make mini top hats--- that was a disaster)

That's just off the top of my head... I'm sure I'll think of more.