Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting on old plates - centers for plate flwrs?

Posted by concretenprimroses 4B NH (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 18:05

Some years ago Toomuchglass/Kathy shared/sent to those of us who wanted them some little flower plates that she had found by the hundreds at a local TS. She recently sent me a bunch more from her collection of plates because I love them as centers for pfs. Here is a pic of 5 out of 6 of them (the yellow one I have used up on pfs.):
Photobucket

Aren't they just perfect?
I love them and I am sad that I seldom find other plates that look like flowers to use on my pfs.

So it occurred to me that I could get a bunch of white saucers at a TS and paint them with ceramic paint. I was in a town 60 miles away on friday that has a Michaels and looked at Pebeo cuz that seemed the most permanent. Wow. Pebeo 150 is quite expensive. I only bought 3 colors, plus a black "pen", and a gold outliner.

Here are my preliminary experiments, but I haven't cooked them in the oven yet. I'm hoping the cooking makes them look a little more professional. I have to let them dry for at least 24 hours before baking at 300F for 1/2 hour. BTW I washed off 4 plates that I didn't like.

Photobucket

I also put gold dots on an irredescent red glob. I think I'll put it in the middle of the "blue daisy".

Photobucket

They are a bit bigger than the one's Ive been using, heres a pic to show comparison.

Photobucket

I'll put a couple out for the winter, hang them on the fence some how to see if they last. I have high hopes, cuz the paint is dishwasher safe. It seems like a good use for orphan white saucers.

What think?

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting on old plates - centers for plate flwrs?

That is awesome !!!! Those look perfect . Once that Pebeo paint is baked - it turns into glass. You can't scrape it off with a razor blade. ( I tried ) I learned the secret -- use very thin coats . You can also bake it more than once for a layered look. Your centers look professional ! I might have to try a few myself :)

o

They look amazing!

o

I think they look great!!!!

o

WOW !! They look great...good idea for little white saucers! You inspire me! Kim:)

o

Beautiful! You have a lot of artistic ability! Love the colors you used! Jan

o

WOW,, fantastic job!! those are just gorgeous... I have read that you can bake the regular paint from the clothing marker pens... has anyone tried that???? geeme

o

Thanks everyone.
Maybe the next step is to custom paint a complete plate flower. That would be interesting. Gotta keep an eye out for white dishes or buy some white pebeo 150 to do background on colored dishes. Is so inconvenient not having a Joann's anymore. No where else sells crafts, and I just don't want to pay shipping on one bottle of white paint!
Kathy

o

What a great idea! You're just so smart! They look great!

o
Update

I cooked them in the oven yesterday. No odor at all.
I followed the directions to put them on the rack while the oven was cool then turned it on. And after I shut the oven off I cracked open the door and let them cool slowly.

They look exactly like they did before. I read that the ivory goes on white then changes to ivory when it is cooked and that is a way to tell the plate is done. These colors seem the same.

Even the glass half marble was fine. And it is much more interesting looking with little gold dimensional dots all over it.

Now to see how they fare outside for the winter!

Kathy

o

Great experimenting, crete! Sounds like a new art form in plate flowers! Good luck this Winter!
Jeanne S.

o

Wow! You are quite the artist. These are beautiful and I wish I had some to use on my plate flowers. Excellent work.
Marilyn

o

Those are amazing! And right in there with my current project!

o

What is your current project Cheribelle?
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here