Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posieh_gw

Outdoor beads..

posieh
12 years ago

I was just lookng at an old post, think it was # 23, and you gals were talking about making concrete beads and putting a metal pole inside to hold them in place. I've made alot of stepping stones using old cake pans for molds, but I'm wondering if any of you use Hypertufa instead of just concrete? It's much lighter and I have stuff made 5 years ago that is still good in the garden.

Comments (7)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I've always wanted to try hypertufa, just haven't done it yet. Concrete is so easy. What recipe do you use for hypertufa?
    Kathy

• posieh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will have to check my book which is "somewhere"! In the mean time go to the Hyperufa forum here and check it out. Should be formula's there. We use I believe it is called "Sandcrete" or "Quickcrete", and add a fine vermiculte (hard to find), (perlite wants to float) and sometmes add a fine gravel. Makes it lighter than concrete and easy to use. I can mix mine in the basement in the Winter and it dries in 2 or 3 days. Easy to paint or you can inbed things in it. We made the bird baths using large rhubarb leaves. Fun ! Hope this helps. We also made our large rocks.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Very cool, oldgraymare! TFS! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

Love your totem pole, oldgraymare! I would be interested in seeing the beads that posieh is talking about ... sounds intriguing!

• June Franke
    8 years ago

I would love to know what you used for molds, oldgraymare, for your totem pole! Would you be willing to share?

• oldgraymare
    8 years ago

I used a small bucket for the mold! I think I got it at the dollar store. I just cut the front out so i could mold the face. Hypertufa needs to be kinda thick so it doesnt run out while your making face. I put a tall pc of pvc thru the middle so i could put it on a pole when it was dry. I turned the pvc piece alot so it wouldnt stick. when it was somewhat dry i removed it. I put a piece of conduit in the ground about a foot and then i just slid them over. The base was just a round container and the top was a bowl. I put holes in them too so i could put them on the conduit.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH