Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for novel ideas on skirting my shed

Posted by festucablue 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 07 at 22:47

My shed is on high stilts, aprox.10 feet at its highest point, on a slope, and I use the underneath area for storage. Needless to say it's unsightly and I am looking for suggestions on how to enclose it; am hoping to find a solution that is cheap,I can do it myself, will last at least a few years with low or no maintenance, and that will blend with the surrounding forest. Whimsical and practical suggestions are welcomed alike. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for novel ideas on skirting my shed

There are so many things you could do that it really depends on what the area around the shed looks like to decide what would look best.

If you have any willow trees in the area you could weave some of those willow fences to enclose the area.

Depending on what the shed looks like you could find some old rustic farm and/or barn doors and mount them around the base of the shed. You could make or find some punched tin panels to fill in any gaps around the doors. Or even better find some old windows with wooden frames and put them above some old, wooden doors with peeling paint on the 10 foot high side. That way you'd be able to conceal the stuff you're storing but still let in enough light so that you can see what's in there.

o

Old barn siding nailed on in intervals like slats, then plant flowers and vines in front of it.

o

Sounds like a challenging project...and great ideas from those postings above. Could you send a pic? Maybe we can come up with more ideas??? Jeanne S. ... I love old barn wood and I love old windows and doors...thanks for sharing!

o

Check out your local freecycle and you may find some lattice or doors or siding for free. www.freecycle.org and look for the city closest to you :)

o

what a great combo of ideas! I looked for a freecycle group in my area, found one,so I plan to go visit it and see if there are any old doors, windows... Thanks for mentioning light, I completely overlooked the fact that by enclosing it I will not be able to see inside.
Actually,I am rather attracted by the idea of weaving tree branches around some wood beams.
Thank you all.

o

Lattice panels, even discarded smaller pieces of lattice (long skinny panels and triangular corner pieces are nice) can be very useful to direct the eye away from the junk underneath, and enclose it somewhat, but still let light in and air through. You can paint or stain dark to match the branches you want to use. It all blends in and looks like it's been there forever. Plant some morning glories or some other carefree vine in the spring. Or find some great climbing roses and let them do what they do best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here