Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

New Arbor Bird Sanctuary

jeannespines
15 years ago

A few weeks ago we had our big maple tree (double-trunked) cut down in front of our house...so sad...had been dying for over 2 yrs. & lots of big dead branches over our roof...we built our house near this tree in early 70's.

So, this is what it looked like out our LR window where we watch & feed the birds.

{{gwi:196532}}

So we added another section of split rail fence and built this arbor...you can see a bit of GJers ideas here...the old wood crate in backgrd on top of stump...and stepping stones made from the old Maple. Hooks are holding a couple feeders but will disappear soon.

{{gwi:196533}}

The next week we got a new feeder hung (made of recycled wood & glass)...my DH made it and the next day the snow fell.

{{gwi:196534}}

A little goldfinch found the feeder...and many juncos have been eating cracked corn on the stumps. My son helped put the arbor top on and said, "Mom, you can't build a tree!" It is TALL so that we can watch the birds thru the LV window where these pics are taken from.

No, I can't build a tree...but I moved a couple bushes to this new bird sanctuary...a leather leaf bush & mugo pine & planted a purple colored decorative tree...next spring we will add a new Maple or Oak on the other side of the fence. We hope the birds will find the new feeders.

Whoa, enough said...thanks for letting me share & I would appreciate any add'l ideas you have for this area. I thought I would like to add a window on left side...but it would need to be pane-less...want everything open for the BIRDS! Jeanne S. (and maybe a "rain chain"...need instr's.)

Comments (24)

• justlinda
    15 years ago

You have made a beautiful little sanctuary for all the birds. Mourn the passing of the big maple, but celebrate the lovely view that has taken it's place.

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Oh gosh! You always inspire me...and you did again! I am a bird lover, and love your sanctuary! Also love the flag in the background! God bless the USA! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• katishooked
    15 years ago

What a grand idea. I love that you added this to your yard after the tree. The pic of arbor with snow is post card quality,tho I hate snow, a bit of nastalgia in that pic.

Kathy

• cait1
    15 years ago

It's wonderful! I love those arbors with the seats on the side. Saw one at the garden I went to on Sunday. I don't know a thing about the plants you said you placed there, but is one of them deciduous? It would be nice to have a deciduous shrub with a bird bath near it - so they'd have somewhere shadey and safe to preen after they take a dip. In winter you'd be able to see them hop around the shrub, that's why I suggested something that loses its leaves in winter. I have a japanese quince or flowering quince - I'm not good with names - and it's a very open shrub that the birds seem to love. Gorgeous flowers in spring, leafy but not packed in summer, and leafless in winter.

And like Kathy said, the snow pic is postcard perfect - could go in a garden mag. The first snowfall of the season is always so special - after that, though, I didn't appreciate it much. I don't miss shoveling. But I could do without the frosts.

• elephantear
    15 years ago

Jeanne, Love what you did here!! bet it kinda take away some of the pain from losing that big Maple tree; looks like that tree was a lot of work for someone also, hope someone could use all that wood for something? Seems like it only take a few minutes after a little snow that those cute little birdies find their food source-and here in our Iowa cold snowy winters feeding and watching those birds mean a lot to so many off us, as well as keeping their tummies full. It definitely do look like a picture perfect view from your LR window! further east we only got a light sprinkle of snow-none on the ground. Wendy

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Wow Jeanne! What a great bird paradise! I'm sure they will find the feeders and the arbor will serve as the new "tree" so they can wait their turn at the feeder! What a great job you and your DH did. Looks wonderful. It is always sad when we have to cut down old trees--had a 150 year old cedar fall at our house a couple of years ago and it was quite an adjustment for us and the birds. But, with new places like the one you've provided, I'm sure you and your family will get lots of enjoyment out of watching. I also can't believe the snow already! I forget that lots of places have already had snow since I'm in Virginia. Thanks so much for sharing with us!

• leveta
    15 years ago

That is so neat. Love it all...I love stuff like that...

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

prrrrrty

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

What a lovely view and wonderful area for your birdies!! I love it!

Great idea for stepping stones!

We created a wildlife feeding area here, that can be see from our family room, kitchen and dining room, by planting 6 Eastern White Pines and pretty much creating an island in the middle of our yard. We have a heated birdbath and several feeding stations. We get so much enjoyment, as you do yours, and it is especially lovely after a snowfall.
    ~Sandy~

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

What a wonderful place to enjoy watching your birds Jeanne! And the snow is so beautiful! We get so excited over just a little bit of snow here. Usually we get 1 to 4 inches once or twice a year, and it melts by the next day. But we enjoy the heck out of it while it lasts lol.

Home sweet home, yours is a great place to be ... thanks for sharing. ~tenderlee

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your gracious comments.

Cait - the deciduous tree I planted is called a Cistena Plum..which should grow to 8'T x 8'W and has white blooms in the sping, purple-y leaves. Also planted a lace-leafed plant (lost the tag to it) which looks like Japanese maple..and you cut it down to ground in spring & it grows tall & thin. In this same front garden there are also a couple barberrys and a forsynthia (from years past)...so I hope the birds will come. The leatherleaf is a Virburnum bush...very hardy & grows fast...keeps some leaves in winter but will fill out in summer & blooms. Mugo Pine is a slow grower for my sandy soil..can get up to 4'.

Our heated b.bath is out the back porch...in summer we have bb out front also.

Capecodr...your bird sanctuary sounds wonderful! Love white pines & would enjoy being at your place.

Our old maple was actually 3-trunked as it had split and grown years ago when we built our home. Am sad to lose it...but we have many friends nearby who lost ALL their trees, plus gardens & homes in the May tornado...so I cannot complain. Here is a pic of some cardinals last winter at the tree...and a new pic of a "lost-looking" goldfinch who found the new feeder.

Any ideas are appreciated from you GJers for this area. Thanks! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:196535}}

{{gwi:196536}}

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

CARDINALS ARE MY FAVORITE!! What an awesome picture Jeanne!!

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

That is what is called making lemonaid when life gives you lemons!!! Beautiful.

I did some step "stones" from wood years ago. I had some deck sealer (any kind of sealing stain or Poly will do) on hand and sealed them to make them last longer.

Next get out there and put string lights all over that little haven and enjoy it at night from your window!!! A hanging Grapevine ball lights would also look great. We have found that birds hang around the lights for warmth on our porch at Christmas.

In the spring I would add a punch of color using large pots that match the house trim. Roses would also look wonderful growing over that structure.

So many fun possibilities!!

Susie

• cait1
    15 years ago

Thanks for that explaination! The planting sounds wonderful. I LOVE forsythias and was so happy to find one. They are not a common garden shrub here in Oz but I'm doing my best to find and get these lovely NA plants in my garden.

The pic with the cardinals is WONDERFUL! I really miss our NA birds. Blue Jays were also a fav of mine. I guess our parrots are fun, but cockatoos are a PAIN! I don't know too many people who like them because they destroy your house by picking at the wooden sills and they are LOUD.

Now I'm looking forward to your spring pics with everything in flower! I think you've done such a great job already and I'm sure you'll come up with some more magical touches!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I love your new arbor & using the wood for some stepping stones. Rustic birdhouse/feeder looks like it is out of a magazine. Cardinals are my favorite bird but have never seen 1 just in pics. Wish Ca. had them. Birds also love something with berries in fall. I will look forward to spring pics also!! Jan

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Beautiful! Llove the cardinals.
    kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Jeanne S., my condolences on the loss of an old dear friend! But I am glad to see you are picking up the pieces (pun intended) and making the best of the vacant space. I just love arbors. There are so many vines that look so pretty on them like roses, honeysuckle, clematis, morning glories ... well, the list is endless! And you can keep that snow! lol! I'd be content with some snow on Christmas Day but that's it. Fat chance for winter in Wisconsin though. I can't wait to see the pictures of birds who find your sanctuary. I know I'd be there if I was a bird!

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

I lost a row of trees in the backyard this year, so I can understand how you feel. I love the "stepping stones", what a great idea! I really want an arbor shaped like yours, with the center higher. Someday!

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Jeanne,

O how bittersweet! I'm sure it was hard to finally do away with that well established tree. (Have you ever read the childrens story "The Giving Tree"?) ...I love the sliced tree trunk for stepping slices! You know once I saw a table top made with tree slices and it looked all so wonderful! ..I LOVE the pergola! It's absolutely perfect there in that angle! Seriously, you should send your story and photos to Birds and Blooms magazine. It looks like something they would put in it! With all the other bushes, trees, plants that you have planted it will be even more gorgeous in the spring. I'm sure that goldfinch was asking himself, " I know there WAS a tree here. Now, where did it go? Well, this feeder and this other thing here seem really nice too. Was I talking about something else? MMMMmm! Seed is so good when it's cold! " Planting bushes close to the feeder will give thos ebirds cover from the hawks and such....Can;t wait too fro your spring photos!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

Love, Jules

• unicorn2564
    15 years ago

Hello..I am in Iowa too..Sioux City!!! Where are you at???

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Jeanne, everyone already said it so well...and I couldn't agree more! That is just beautiful. I'd love to have that arbor to see out a window. Not to mention all the pretty birds.

hugs, Karen

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

..so sad to lose your trees, I know how that is. What a beautiful scene now,though. Your bird house with the snow on it is a beautiful photo.

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

unicorn...I'm another Iowa GJer...I'm in Council Bluffs.

Jeanne...where in Iowa...that you have snow already.

I'm glad we don't have snow yet...I'm not ready for it.

Susiewantsroses...I never would have thought about the little lights giving the birds some heat on a cold winters day...I'm such a softy for outdoor critters.

Last year I slipped hand warmers under my outdoor cat every night. I need to buy one of those pink discs you heat in the microwave for her this year...I spent a fortune buying hand warmers all winter.

patti

• calicocat1967
    15 years ago

Love this !!! And not one but 6 cardinals !!! What a treat. Hope they return to your retreat.

pattico and unicorn I live 45 miles north of Sioux City in Marcus. Ever been there ??

I love Iowa and the change of seasons !! Snow makes everything look so clean.

Kim

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA