Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Leaves

Posted by sivanx1 none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 8:18

Hello,

I need to store a few bags of autumn leaves until mid February for an art installation. I plan to store them in a dry cellar. But I am afraid they will start decomposing. Do you have any recommendations for the best storage method? paper vs. plastic vs. cloth bags? bags with or without holes? etc.

Many thanks!
Sivan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Leaves

Well, I've never done that, but I would think a bag that was porous would work better than a plastic one to let the leaves breath and to make sure no moisture develops. Also I would put them up off of the floor of the cellar as well.

o

Freezer?

o

Maybe you should have a big ironing party with all your friends and iron them between wax paper. Then you can store them stacked up in sheets of paper.
If you put the in bags you will end up with brown curled up leaves I think. So at least iron a hundred or so to have some color.
Kathy

o

You could dip the leaves in wax to preserve them.

o

I've stored leaves through the winter by spreading a tarp in the garage, spreading the leaves out on them, and letting them thoroughly dry....took about a week's time during a fall period with moderate humidity. I fluffed and turned them a few times during the drying period. Then I rebagged into paper leaf bags and stored them in the garage for use when the new garden area was ready. They came through with no mold or decomposition and could be spread without the sinus headache I get when stirring up moldy leaves.

Of course the brilliant fall colors fade as the leaves dry, but muted shades of yellow, red, and brown remain.....depending on what leaves you start with of course. Not sure just what you want the leaves to look like for your project.....but drying will at least keep them from getting moldy and stinky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here