Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skej

crt monitors

skej
13 years ago

does anyone have any good ideas for recycling old crt monitors for the garden. i figured i would have to gut them so there wouldn't be toxins leaking into the soil. but other than using them for planters i can't think of any other ideas. thanx!

Comments (7)

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

You're to be commended for trying to recycle the things but it sounds like a dangerous project.
    What are your plans for the toxic stuff that has to be removed?
    Do you have a secure/safe are to perform this action?
    Garden junk is fun but shouldn't there be some limits?
    Just my thoughts on it.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

It is not a dangerous project.

1. first unplug the CRT set. Wait a couple of days for the capacitors/high voltage in the fly-back transformer section to completely discharge (old sets may not have bleeder path to dischartge).
    2. In the back ot the tube, unplug everything, remove all wires/coils/magnets in the deflection electronics.
    3. there is a good deal of dust collected on the glass tube. clean it off.
    4. there is a little glass tube in the back neck that you need to break off to clear the vacuum inside the tube.

now you can do whatever you plan to do to the tube. The glass is very thick (1/2" plus). You can only cut it with a wet diamond saw or a diamond core drill.

I have made a gold fish tank with a big TV once. Very intertesting.

Whatever you are throwing away, follow your local Code requirements how to dispose of electronic components.

dcarch

• lizzardly
    13 years ago

I don't know about using them in the garden, but I saw someone use an old tv to make a fish aquarium once. Could you use them that way?

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

My use of the word "dangerous" pertained to the components that have to be disposed of correctly.
    The glass tube is just that, glass. It can break, shatter, chip, splinter, have sharp edges...the usual stuff.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

It's one of those things that I wouldn't find attractive in the garden but then I thought the same of toilets and have admired a few that I have seen planted. A garden person looking as though they are typing on a computer keyboard while looking at a monitor would be cute. Maybe put something reflective on the screen so it would actually have a scene. I'd be interested to see if someone comes up with something. I have seen the fish tanks made out of old TVs. They look very cute.

• tehuti
    13 years ago

Here's a waaaaay out idea a GARDINDIAN for the garden.

{{gwi:197018}}

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I love Robert's guardian idea!
    Could they be incorporated into a cold frame or green house?
    I've heard of tv's exploding when tampered with, must be the person opened it before the discharge time that dcarch refers passed.
    Kathy

Sponsored
Ridgeline Contractors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Arlington County