Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary2010_gw

Holiday Market show report

mary2010
13 years ago

My first show was last Thurs., Veteran's Day. Since it was a holiday there was a good crowd at the show. My garden totems were very well received. I had lots of comments and compliments on my work. The large totems did not sell however. What did sell were garden stakes (sold out) and smaller totems designed for indoor use as dessert stands. I did however come away with a couple custom orders and got a phone call over the weekend for two more garden stakes. I was asked to come back and do a Spring show with them. At least now I know which items sell better. Hopefully the large totems will sell in the Spring. Here's a couple pics of my table display.

{{gwi:197258}}

{{gwi:197259}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Whimsies by Mary

Comments (20)

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Glad you sold out the stakes, and had compliments
    on your work.
    It is beautiful, and your display looks
    great.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Mary~

I think your totems are just gorgeous! You have one of the best eyes for color and pattern combinations I've ever seen! I always smile when I see your creations...glad you sold out on some items and got such good reviews...I'm sure you will sell more in the spring! Great job and thanks for sharing your day with us!

• garden-potter
    13 years ago

That's terrific! Good job! Your table looks fantastic; very eye-catching and appealing! And I love your sign, the slogan and cards you attached to the items; very professional-looking. You are well on your way to 'branding' yourself and will build a great customer base just because of it! Keep up the great work! I'll check out your website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby Garden Creations

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

I wish I would have come across a table like your at the shows I went to ... I'd probably need a U Haul truck to take my treasures home that I bought from you !!!!

• leveta
    13 years ago

That's so great Mary...I'm very happy for you...

• greensuzq
    13 years ago

I love your whole set up, especially your sign in front. Beautiful work on all your pieces. I had many complements and good vibes at my first craft fair at a church last month. I had mainly plate flowers and a few bird feeders from plates and bowls.

I was invited to come and do a class type show for the older ladies in the springtime, teaching them how to do it. It was their very first craft fair and only plan on doing it once a year in the fall.

I think springtime your totems and everything else will sell very good. Very nice, glad you enjoyed it.

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

I LOVE, LOVE your teapot totems. It's so hard to know what's going to sell at a craft show. Sometimes it's one thing, then another at the next show. Last summer a couple who makes plate flowers was selling right next to me. They sold out and I sat there watching them with envy while selling just a few items. A few months before that it was just the opposite. They were sitting next to me watching items go out of my booth while they only sold a very few.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

mary...looks like your hard work (& a little extra advice from GJers are here) paid off! Your table is gorgeous...good signage & spacing of items ...black t'cloth & whimsical cloth on top...very appealing! Sounds like you're on a roll! TFS! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful display, love your sign, your website looks very professional! Glad you sold the stakes & indoor totems. Maybe it was that larger totems were more expensive & people just wouldn't spend that much with economy not so hot! Totems are probably just fine & some that didn't buy now might buy in spring as we all get "spring fever" & want to pretty up the yards! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I wonder if people are afraid of buying the totems because they are afraid they will break before they get home? I wonder if that is why your smaller totems were better sellers. I'm like toomuchglass, I'd have to rent a trailer after I left your booth. lol! You did a marvelous job with your booth. Very professional looking! Congratulations on your sales!

• mary2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awww shucks . . . you guys have made my week. I've been feeling crappy with terrible bronchitis all week. And, when I turned on the computer this morning I actually have a smile on my face for the first time this week. I can't thank everyone enough for all the wonderful encouragement and great advice. As you could see I used it!! I'm looking forward to a Spring show and will continue seeking wisdom from the GJ masters. You're the best!!!

• chevy57red
    13 years ago

Very pretty!!
    You give me inspiration!!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Mary - Beautiful setup, congratulations on your success. Your website looks great too.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Your display is beautiful Mary. You really do a super job of stacking the totems and can find the best pieces to use. I like your sign too, when I did my show I set up as Whimsies Ect... with a dragonfly logo. I think people are a little scared of transporting the larger totems, I sold four the day of the show, but I had about 15 there. I have some on consignment and someone from California bought 3 recently. I bet you had a great time at the show, I thought it was fun.
    Frou

• mary2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

excessfroufrou, I'm curious how you shipped 3 totems to CA? I had a lot of fun at the show and learned much too. Thanks for the kind words.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Beautiful display and pieces! Congratulations.
    Would you mind sharing your prices? My garden is filling up and I'm thinking I might sell some stuff rather than gift it to ungrateful relatives.
    Kathy

• mary2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy - concretenprimroses, I'm happy to share my prices. I sell my large garden totems for $55. The medium size ones are $45. Garden stakes go for $20. Dessert stands/pedestals are $35. I'm working on several special orders for Christmas gifts. The garden stakes are really hot for gifts. They're sold as soon as I make them.

Here are a couple of the stakes that sold this week. The customer provides their own stake (copper or rebar).

{{gwi:197260}}

{{gwi:197261}}

Hope this helps. Good luck with your sales!

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Outstanding work! I adore all the pieces you have managed to find to create these pretties!!

• lily51
    13 years ago

Love your totems, love your website. Where do you find all your glassware? You have a talent for putting them together in the most attractive ways!

• mary2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks friends. Lily51, I find my pieces at the local thrift stores. I'm fortunate to have 5 Goodwill stores within 30 minutes of my house. I frequent them all regularly. It gives me great joy when others appreciate my work. It inspires me to keep creating.