Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not really a garden junk question

Posted by rafor (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 12:19

I need some input from all you creative DIY peeps. I want to make a rather large Christmas ornament to hang from a branch on a large tree in my front yard. I'm thinking something sort of the shape of the finial tree toppers. It would be about 4 or 5 feet long. All the commercial ones are uber expensive and I think I can make one out of wood I already have. I want it to have a sort of 3 dimensional effect so I thought I could use plywood and marry 2 pieces together at a 90 degree angle to give it that 3D effect. I tried to find some patterns on google, but had no luck. Any suggestions? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not really a garden junk question

I think you should be able to make something out of plywood by drawing the pattern and connecting them together. I tried to find a picture, but the only thing I could find was a Christmas tree, but it's the same idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas tree

o

Look at the shape of an ornament you like, and draw it on plywood, two matching pieces. Cut a slot from top to middle in one, bottom to middle in the other. Slide the two pieces together. You could add a finial to the top and bottom, and a hanger to the finial. Paint as desired.

o

The slot joints were what I was going to suggest too. The slot needs to be as wide as the thickness of the piece that is sliding into it (or a tiny bit more).

You might also consider "decorating" it with a holes so the wind can blow through and to make it lighter.

Remember to post a pic.

Kathy

o

Thanks for the ideas. The slot thing was the only way I could come up with also. So I'll give that a try. Kathy: putting holes in it might be a good idea too so the wind wouldn't spin it round and round. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to try it.

o

Use fishing spinners at the top so it will turn and not blow sideways. Also you could cover the holes with screen, and paint the screen, either to match or contrast. The screen would let the air through and still be decorative.

o

Well did some experimenting and cutting today. We cut out 2 identical finial type shapes and notched them and fitted them together. I think it's going to work. Took them apart again so I can paint them. Also cut out some other shapes that will just be 1 dimensional ornaments. Had lots of scrap plywood around, so used up a lot of that. Am now on the hunt for some sort of hardware that will let them turn/spin in the wind. Pics to follow when completed :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here