Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

dresser drawer planter

lindasewandsew
13 years ago

A friend moved to a smaller place and left a very old very large dresser behind. I drug some of the drawers home and made this planter for her. It's embellished with other stuff she left and of course filled with succulents. Check out the link below. Linda

{{gwi:53183}}

{{gwi:53184}}

{{gwi:53182}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My favorite song

Comments (18)

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

I bet your friend is glad she left them behind for you to find! What a great imagination and good job of recycling what would have otherwise ended up in the trash!! I just love it. How did you score all those letters to spell out the name? Or maybe I should ask what was their previous life?***************

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness!! I wish someone as creative as you would do something like THIS for me!! I had to pick my jaw off my keyboard when I seen this! If she didn't love it, then you can just send it to me & I'll even pay for the shipping! LOL!

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, oldcrafty. The letters are cut from old license plates.

The link below will take you to other stuff I made with them. The wonderful birdhouse in the photos was woven by a friend, and the little A frame with the chimney was made by someone else. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: More license plate stuff

• dollydee
    13 years ago

I love, love, love it!!!!! That is just too cute!!

• garden-potter
    13 years ago

I absolutely LUV it!! So cool! (Not sure about the skull and crossbones but to each his own... ha). I'm wondering how you got the drawers at different depths so they are staggered? Or did they come that way? Great Job!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby Garden Creations

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Wow! it looks terrific! Top part would work with the old oak toilet tanks like my grandma had so long ago. I was about 10 so 58 yrs ago, the tank hung high upon the wall, I was always quite sure it was going to fall on me so I pulled the chain & ran out of there. Did you cut some of the drawers down so they stairstep? I love the bones, remind me of the steer bones that used to be all over in the desert when I came out here, now they are sold for big bucks I'll bet.(Maybe illegal) Plants warm up the whole scene & with her name it is so personal. Old Ca. scene back in days of cowboys on horses & dry bones & ghost towns!! Jan

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Wow, sew&sew, the drawers themselves are wonderful ...but the adornments make it art! I love it! Whatever the base was before sure works perfectly for this...all the metal & iron... how you bound the drawers tog with pcs, too. Rosemary, a long name, too...wow...always enjoy your lic plate projects! Just that top drawer alone would be gorgeous! Great recycling & I'm sure it will last for yrs in your CA weather! Succulents look great! Great memoir for your friend! Jeanne S.

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments. This was a lot of fun to make. We cut the backs off the drawers to make the steps and put a 'wall' in each one so there's no soil past where you can see it. There are large holes drilled in the bottoms. I used Henry's roof patch to seal the insides so it will last longer. They're lined with window screen to hold the soil in. I started mixing my own soils, thanks to Al, aka tapla over on the container plants forum. The succulents grow very nicely in it, and it drains nicely so the plants and pots are not rotting away in mud. It has small metal furniture legs.

{{gwi:197630}}

Here's a photo of the back side. Due to the walls, there were voids in the back, which can be used for small storage. Because the planters will drip onto these shelves, I drilled holes in the bottom and sprayed them with car undercoating from a spray can (available at Pep Boys and other auto parts stores), so they might last longer. The coating is black, and was done after the photos were taken. I like that it still looks a little like the chest of drawers that it used to be. Linda

{{gwi:197631}}

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Stunning!
    I love the steps. and all the embellishments.
    Kathy

• shysue
    13 years ago

That is so-o-o neat!!! You sure are one creative lady. I can't stop looking at it!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

OMGosh! I LOVE this Linda! What an awesome job and such a creative use for the drawers! And all of the embellishments are wonderful! Such a great idea...TFS!

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Linda, so much fun! Have a couple of favors to ask. First, would you add tags to some of the pics to explain better. I LOVE details (and trash!).

Second, will you tell us how you cut the license plates.

Thanks Rosie (really Rosemary)

• tehuti
    13 years ago

This is great.
    When I see original and wonderful ideas like this it makes me question my own creativity.

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

Linda, I absolutely LOVE your creation!!!! Seriously, you should sell all your art on ETSY. Love the ingenuity!
    thanks for sharing.
    Love, Jules

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Can I leave something in front of your house with my name on it so you can do something like this for me? he-he What a wonderful gift for your friend and a great remembrance of her time in your neighborhood. I am coveting those rusty furniture legs! You always manage to come up with something brilliant that is planted with succulents!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

You are one talented lady, not to mention a sweetheart. I love it.
    Frou

• TwoMonths
    13 years ago

wow that is great. I hve some drawers I have been saving to grow veggies in...I was trying to visualize a stair step setup and now I can see it. And I have many legs to use...probably taller ones to keep the dogs out...again, wonderful job.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Wow! What a special one of a kind original work of art, Linda! Your creations are always so unique and I'm sure your friend will be totally blown away when she sees what you have made for her! ;o)

Luvs