o
Self Portraits in the Rock Garden

Posted by tinfoilhat AZ (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 25, 10 at 13:18

Early self portrait circa 1972.
Yard Art

From my Salvador Dali phase.
Yard Art

I know someone is going to ask about the cactus in upper right hand corner. I don't know botanical name for it and there are a lot of common names for it. The only non X-rated name I have ever heard for them is "Desert Pinecone". They have clusters of white silver dollar flowers in spring and grow in segments. They are fragile and segments break off easily. Segments then take root and become new plant. With enough water they are the green and in times of drought they turn reddish brown. I have seen them remain that way for years and spring back to life.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self Portraits in the Rock Garden

Oh, you mean that twisted looking rebar is actually a plant??I thought it was rusty metal!! I didn't know you where from the stone age either. You must have seen a lot of changes over the years(LOL)Your face has weathered & wrinkled some, since you probably don't use sun screen, someone should roll you over into a nice shady spot!! Don't want you to wither away as we quite like your creations!! Jan

o

I like them a lot! They provide a nice surprise in the garden. How did you carve/make them?
Interesting to know about the "pine cone cactus" too. Cactus are amazing. My mom, here in NH, has had some old dried up ones for years on her unheated closed in porch, and I noticed this week that they are trying to grow. I think I may have to rescue them.
Kathy

o

Self portraits, hummm, never thought about that.

I have a question for you, can you email me (see members page)?

o

Cool idea for the self portraits. How did you carve on the rocks? I'm assuming a dremel tool? Those pinecone cacti are pretty cool too. When you mentioned a non-X-rated name, I looked at them again and laughed because I can imagine some of the X-rated ones. he-he

o

I use a carbide hammer drill bit in hammer drill for holes and a pistol type air chisel for carving. I used a dremel tool once to carve a porpoise on a black granite rock for a friend. I was at it for days and went thru dozens of carbide gringing disks. Swore I'd never do that again.

o

• Posted by cait1 VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 27, 10 at 7:58

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

They're great!

o

I am happy to see that you're smiling in both of your self portraits! What a hoot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here