Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Flower Bed

Posted by seamommy 7bTX (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 14:57

When I saw this bed at an antique store the wheels started turning in my little bean. It was in pieces and the store owner had tried to fix it with hot glue. Yeesh. I've been having problems with my knees so I figured this one would be easy to plant. It only took about 16 pairs of screws and bolts, and a couple of small L-braces to put it together. It's now solid as a rock. I could sleep in it myself...if I wasn't afraid of getting my head stuck between the bars...

It worked out and the sweet peas growing in the little bed in front of it just moved right on in. I had astilbe, petunias, and several others in it over the summer.

Baby Flower Bed

This was a fun project. First, I repainted the bed with rusteoleum, sealed it with a clear coat, then I made a box of cedar boards to fit inside. I lined the box with two layers of weed stop fabric and filled it with a good potting mix. I have had a succession of different flowers in it all summer. Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Flower Bed

Turned out to be a great planter! Great idea for those of us who can't get on our knees any longer too. TFS!

o

Great recycling on that bed ...some hard work pd off...looks like it's found a new life for your gardening...& the Sweet Peas would surely love it, too! Jeanne S.

o

Great save & makes a wonderful flower bed, glad it wasn't fixed & sold as too dangerous for a baby, perfect for flowers!! Jan

o

Awwwwww.... that is so cute. You did a great job, looks great with the plants. I know what you mean about the knees.
Frou

o

Great idea to use it for a more accessible plant bed! It is so nice to see some green right now. I'm getting bummed out over the coming of winter. Bleh! Ack! Pitooey!

o

What luna said!!!!!

o

yep....a great raised bed....but not quite tall enough to keep out my dogs...I need higher.....waist high and 8inches deep for vegs.

o

That turned out wonderful. Nice job on it. I had to laugh at the previous owner trying to hot glue it together! Sheesh. He's a few chips short of a Happy Meal.

By the way, I was almost afraid to open this post about BABY flower bed after seeing the doll head chandy. LOL.
Glad I took a chance and it was really flowers in there!

hugs, Karen

o

Sweet !
Love this project.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here