Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowers12_gw

OMG I know where the spoons went!

flowers12
12 years ago

We just came back from a Craft Fair that had nothing but handcrafted items. About 400 vendors all indoors at a Fairgrounds near us. I almost fell over when we approached a booth that had literally hundreds of those silverware wind chimes. The seller wasn't anywhere to be found unfortunately because I wanted to ask where she was from and where she shops for her spoons. I think she gets them from everywhere. Interesting how she flattened all of them and the big serving spoons would have been perfectfor my plate flowers. The chimes were not cheap, $50 and up. They did have some very nice silver teapots, coffee pots, creamers etc. at the top where she attached the silverware.

Anyway, I was disappointed at all the jewelry, knitted hats and scarves. There was homemade jam, olive oil, candy, aprons, purses, some very cute yard art made from rebar, those big funny birds with long legs. No glass totems or plates. Oh, there was a lady who had those melted records. They were the perfect shape of a flower. She just had them and didn't paint them or make them into flowers. I'm going to try melting some then painting them and adding some stuff to them for a garden flower.

The event is two days for $130 a booth. I'm going to try to get a booth next year. I talked to a lady who made some wonderful felted purses and she said yesterday she made a lot of sales and there were hundreds of people going through all day.

Comments (6)

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

I just KNEW a crafter was just scooping up all the spoons !!!!
    LOL I'm very surprised ( and happy to hear that windchimes are selling this time of year ) How did she have them displayed ? Sometimes the displays are as interesting as the product itself !

I'm like you -- disappointed to see that craft fair organizers let in so many jewelry people instead of a variety of things. Knitted hats & scarves don't do well either.

I bet if you sold glass totems & plates , you'd do great . That booth fee isn't bad at all - considering it's 2 days and has a great turnout . Get your application in EARLY .
    One other thing I've never seen at craft fairs is mosaics.
    ( and my beaded pink flamingos ~ LOL ) Wouldn't it be fun to have something totally different & outsell everyone else ? LOL

**** PS --- now I'm going to hoard spoons incase I can't find any ;)

• flowers12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All the windchimes were hanging off the poles around a pop up tent cover and there were some tall racks on tables. I mean there must have been two hundred windchimes in that booth. All those spoons.....flattened spoons.....oh, I just couldn't believe it!

I was checking prices of things and earrings, nice ones, were selling for $6. The rebar birds were $45, beautiful blown glass vases were $40 and up. Wonderful felted purses were $40 and up. I think if I sold my totems and plate flowers for $20 - $35 I would do okay. My DH says I should just start making as many PF's as possible for next year and not make so many totems. Well, last year the totems sold and this year the PF's sold more and who knows what will sell better next year? It's a challenge and a fun one. I agree with you about your mosaics they would be a hit!

It's so hard to find the right kind of spoon. I bought two the other day at a thrift store but they broke when I bent them. Talk about aggravating!!!

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

DH is right ---- get the PF production line going !!! LOL
    Your glue will have plenty of time to cure. I sold some at a farmers market one year. I made some for outside , some for inside. I called the inside ones
    "Wall-flowers" & the outside ones "Sun-flowers". It was kind of catchy ... a good conversation starter. I bought tons of plate stands on sale and displayed them standing up on an 8' banquet table. It was my first amatuer attempt at PF. I learned so much since then . I sold one ....LOL . Oh well .... live & learn .

• flowers12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toomuchglass, I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a few plate stands and keep forgetting. A few ladies have said they would like to display the plate flowers inside. I'm going to put plate stands on my list of things to get for my craft fair next week. I have to say, I have 2 big red flower plates that I was thinking would look great on my side table. I don't know yet though what it would look like with the spoon on the back. Maybe okay?

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Sure -- no one can see the back . I have a favorite PF that I kept on a stand on my end table. It was one of my first and it has this big honkin' hanger on the back ...ugh... but only I knew it was there !

One more thing if you want to take the back/hanger off . I made mine with silicone. Even when it's set,dried and cured... sometimes you can take a single edge razor blade and just keep cutting & sliding it under the glue. Sometimes when you break the suction underneath - it will peel off.

So many possibilities !!! LOL You should show us pics of your PF ,so we can ooohhh & ahhh over them !

One more thing -- after I spent $ on plate stands --- I realized it would be so easy to make them out of wire hangers ...

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I too have seen someone with spoon windchimes. Hers were all silver spoons and I need stainless steel. But I'm thinking someone locally is now using ss spoons cuz they are disappearing.

I may try forks.

Kathy

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert