Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to paint a round store-bought stepping stone?

Posted by quirkpod 7 Lewisville NC (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 18:08

Has anyone done this and what do I buy to paint it? They are made of concrete, I suppose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to paint a round store-bought stepping stone?

I dont know what painting technique that you are planning but for a solid color I would use concrete porch paint. They also make it in a stain. You may be able to use acrylic paints and then seal it with some kind of polycoat. But one of the smarter ladies will have to help out on that one. Also try over on the mosaic forum. They do a lot of work decorating concrete step stones.

I would like to hear more about what you want to paint on the step stone. Words? or just color?

Susie

o

I love stepping stones but I'm extremely picky about the the ones I like. So, I'd be interested to hear what you want to paint on them and how your project turns out.
I'd think that the concrete would soak up any type of acrylic paint? So, you'd have to do many coats or have an aged look or seal the concrete with something before you started painting.
Vickie

o

When I painted some of my concrete black I used some left over latex paint and added some of that stuff that people use to make paint dry slower so it can be worked for special faux effects. (I had bought a gallon way back but didnt use it all in my fauxphase) Forget what its called. My theory was that would give more liquid to soak in but not change the color. It has lasted very well. My friend just spray paints hers with cheap spray paint, but it sometimes wears off. My has lasted well thru 3 winters so far.
kathy

o
Forgot to say...

I also used some black oil based stain that I found in the cellar, really old, and that has not lasted as well as the paint plus the extender. Boy it was hard to get off my arms tho. I was speckled for a week.
kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here