Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting cement birdbaths

Posted by keiki 10 FL (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 18:15

I only lurk here to see your wonderful creative work but am semi-active on the Florida garden page. I asked there but had little response so I am turning to you, the fix it experts. What type of paint do you use on you old cement pieces? I am looking for something that will not harm the birds and will not peal off. My pieces are all old rescued cement pieces previously painted and in despirate need of repair. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting cement birdbaths

Painting concrete is what causes the damage in the first place.
You can use a concrete sealer if you feel you must seal the surface but concrete is best left unsealed so it can "breathe".
What sort of damage are you dealing with? Sometimes you can patch it with mortar mix.

o

I have used rustoleum spray paints with clear coats on top to paint cement statuary. I don't know how you can guarantee that it will not peal because concrete is porous and absorbs water. The ones I have done I brought in in the winter. You can see some pictures on the following site in Garden Junk. Verdigris metal and cement

o

Thank you both for taking the time to resond! To clarify what I meant by repair is the pieces were all previously painted many times with multiple coats of paint. Some pieces show some paint peeling, some show multiple layers of paint (not peelng just layers gone), and some pieces are bare cement on one peice but the corresponding piece is painted. Thank you for sharing your pictures I would love to see them but am not sure where to look. LOL sorry

o

keiki ... here's an old birdbath I painted last yr & it still looks great! I used Rusteoleum spray paints ...it had been previously painted...I just sanded on it a bit ...didn't care if it looked 'rustic' ...used 2 colors spray paint. Good luck! Jeanne S.

Shroom Birdbath "After" 8.11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here