Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best paint/glaze for terra cotta pots

Posted by novice_2009 zone 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 18:20

I recently saw an idea in a magazine that was new to me- though you ladies have probably already heard/seen it.
It was a gazing ball using Christmas ornament and small terra cotta pot. Well, I have a shiny silver ball that lost its top, and would work great as a gazing ball on one of my small terra cotta pots. My question is- I'd like to paint the pot and possibly glaze it or something. In my limited experience, terra cotta pots left out in the weather crack so easily. So, I'd like to pick a paint to compliment the ball, and my garden. Is there a glaze that would also make it more weather proof? I'm thinking that doesn't matter though as the Christmas ball is very delicate also. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best paint/glaze for terra cotta pots

Good question novice! What a cute idea. I'm imagining little garden globe Christmas ornaments. I wish I had the bet answer. I just use what ever paint I've got. (My problem is that I break the pots eventually.)
Kathy

o

I've been making concrete leaf castings for about a year and painting them with Patio Paint by Deco Art. It has worked very well on the concrete. I have just recently painted terra pots with it. Its supposed to be made to paint concrete and terra cotta. I buy it at Michaels's or Joann's.

o

If you are using pots for plants you have to paint the inside with something to waterproof it otherwise after a few weeks the outside paint starts peeling off. Imagine you just need outside painted if it is just stand for gazing ball. Cute idea! Jan

o

thanks everybody! I'll get that patio paint at Hobby Lobby I bet, and if it's not expensive get a few tubes for future projects.
I thought the small gazing balls would look great in my small shade garden amongst the hostas, ferns, etc.

o
Patio Paint!

Patio paint is in bottles, 2 oz. size just like other craft paints but sometimes in completely different section of store from the other paints- Michael's is that way! WalMart did have a few & Joanne's Don't have Hobby Lobby out here so don't know about them. Just didn't want you chasing around looking for tubes when it's in bottles. If you can't find it ask where it is. Jan

o

The Patio paints are getting harder to find. In our craft stores (Micheal's & AC Moore), they only have it with the terra cotta pots and in very limited colors. Not sure what Hobby Lobby carries. I might have to resort to buying it online if they don't start carrying more colors in the store.

In my experience there is nothing you can do to prevent a terra cotta pot from cracking in the winter if you have freezing temperatures, so I have to bring mine in for the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here