Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you fill your pots with when the plants are done?

Posted by jessew 5 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 19:33

I tend a relative's outdoors-the house is in town right on the sidewalk & for years I've planted a few plastic pots to sit on the sidewalk by the stairs. Last year, someone must have scooped one up & off they went! I had a neighbor who moved & didn't want to take several small but very heavy cement planters & I thought OK-you won't walk off with THESE!

So I planted them with annuals & sure enough the neighborhood kids (I think the "theft" was really just a prank & it was an old pot anyway!)didn't mess with them, but they weigh a ton & I don't want to move them either!

I'm looking for ideas for something to put in them for winter that I can do once & won't look like we left the Christmas decorations out until May! I have a load of pinecones that are getting the glue gun treatment, but you look like a creative bunch-any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you fill your pots with when the plants are done?

Branches, greenery and pine cones will work just fine. Stick in a few Magnolia leaves if you have them too. I leave my evergreens out in my pots all winter.

o

hardy rosemary? could pick up fir tree shaped ones about now. looks good year round
cora

o

This is my copper kettle on the patio... I have 2 large plastic pots in it from summer flowers ... now I stick pine branches into the dirt in those pots & all around...throw in some loose pinecones, added some Curly Willow sticks & moved a cast iron bunny to the front of it ...plus a birchwood tree that DH had experimented w/cutting out.
Copper Kettle Winter Bunny 11.11

Backers Rack Enamel Pan 11.11

Have fun w/your pinecones ...I've seen some neat cone trees w/pinecones glued on! Jeanne S.

I also use gourds & Fall stuff w/pinecones ...here's enamel pot on my Baker's Rack on the patio (for winter)...it was my herb garden container.

o

I stick evergreen branches in mine. In fact I'll be headed out this weekend to pick the branches. I try to get a variety of evergreens.

For December, I add some branches that I spray paint red or silver. In January I add some little snowmen on sticks. I add some hearts for February. I get rid of them in March and put my pansies out.

We're in the planning stages of a garage renovation. When we widen the driveway, I'm thinking of some large cedar planters to form the boundary between lawn and driveway. I'm thinking of some dwarf conifers in those planters. I would put annuals around the base in the spring, summer and fall. And for the winter I could decorate like I do my front step containers.

o

You should be able to pick up small fake Christmas trees at thrift stores now. Those would be cute too. No watering required. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here