Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lacensuch

My garden gazebo

lacensuch
14 years ago

Hi all

I have been an avid reader and very infrequent poster. You are all inspiration to me. Thank you.

I thought I'd share a little project my DH and I have been working on. To start, we had one of those metal gazebo/awning yard rooms. Last years wind destroyed the canvas roof and we had to buy another one. I didn't want to throw it away so I told DH to save the pieces and I would figure out something to do it them. Well, I had a framed planting bed next to the shed that was really overgrown. We dug it all out and placed brick on the floor (yes it's not an even brick floor but I planned it that way...wink wink nod nod). I used the four corners of the gazebo around the wood frame and planted morning glorys on two ends that I'm hoping will grow over and become the roof. It gets so hot in our back garden area that I wanted a place to be able to sit and relax and be out of the sun. A friend gave me some little picket fence. The bird bath was bought at a garage sale several years ago for $5. The bed frame behind the table and chairs was from a garage sale too. The table and chairs were purchased from a neighbor for $20. The brick were free from an ad we posted on free cycle. So it really hasn't cost me much. I am looking forward to next summer!! Hope you enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden gazebo

Comments (17)

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

That is cool!!!!

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Wow, Lace, that is very cool! And will be a wonderful place to sit & cool off with an iced drink. Great recycling...love the birdbath, brick floor & bedframe. Wondering if you'll need to add anything else to the roof so it can grow good & shady for you. Like fence panel or something?? Or wire twined? Your entry to the gazebo is very cool, too! (with or without the picket fence...would look good either way). Hope you have some good weather days to enjoy it soon! TFS pics!
    Jeanne S.

• lacensuch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Jeanne and nanatricia.

I will be putting chicken wire across the top of the boards to help support the morning glory. They aren't quite to the top yet. That's our next part of the project.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Everything looks great!! Love the table & chairs with bed frame backdrop!! Dog looks like he is pleased with it too!!My morning glories will probably die tonight as they are saying it may freeze. I haven't wrapped sheets around my orange tree yet either. I guess they forgot to tell Ca. about Globel warming as some of ski resorts are open couple of weeks early it said on news tonight. I think there is a morning glory that lives for years so maybe that is what you have. Mine are just annuals & die off every fall but seeds come back up each spring. The chicken wire will give them good support so they fill in nicely. Take a pic then too! Jan

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Very nice, what a good way to recycle. When your plants fill in be sure to send another pic. Cool guard dog>
    Syble

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Wow...your gazebo turned out really well! Love the look and the white table and chairs....can't wait to see a picture with the plants growing up the sides. Great job!

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I love it too! It is so charming!

• twotoomanycats
    14 years ago

L*O*V*E it all!!! Thanks for posting so many pictures!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Wonderful way to repurpose what you had. Green with envy here, but congrats, it's very homey.

Kat

• lacensuch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all who responded to my post and to all who took a peek at the photos as well.

I'll post more as the plants fill in more.

ml

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

What a lovely retreat!
    i'm totally jealous of the table and chairs, and the bed frame is a perfect complement.
    have fun
    kathy

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

GREAT Job!!! Nice dog too! Inspiring!

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

What a lovely sitting area. I can imagine sipping on lemonade out there. I have heard people have so many problems with those tent-like canvas gazebos that it is good to hear that someone salvages the still good parts from them. Apparently Libby knows how great it is too because it sure looks like she is deligently guarding it! What a great job you and DH did. TFS!

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

What a lovely space you and your DH created. You will really enjoy sitting there any time of year but especially in the summer, in the shade of pretty blooming vines.

You did a GREAT job.

FlowerLady

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

Great way to salvage what some people would throw away....and I WANT A METAL HEADBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't talk DH into it. All he can see is 'headboard'. I see art.

• pippi21
    14 years ago

That frame would be beautiful with a climbing vine on it, like a beautiful clematis or moonflower or morning glory. You could plant them in a flower pot if you didn't want to put them into the ground.

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

Love it! I think Libby likes it, too!