Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Dish Flowers

kirkus
16 years ago

Saw these dish flowers this weekend. Aren't they cool? Carol asked the lady if she could take a picture and post them. The lady even helped Carol take the pictures! (I was too shy to ask!) She was excited to hear about the GardenWeb Junk forum. Aren't they neat flowers? Kirk

{{gwi:198606}}

{{gwi:198608}}

{{gwi:198609}}

Comments (48)

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Ahhh...geeeeez...now I have to start looking for more glass!!

~Sandy~

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

OK...now I'm hooked!

Please tell me you noticed how they were fastened to the copper pipe on the back!!!

~Sandy~

• garden-potter
    16 years ago

Those are just beautiful! Looks like they elbowed the pipe, then attached a flange, then probably glued on the plates; I don't see a bolt thru the middle. And I love how they soldered smaller pieces of copper to the pipe as leaves. Do you remember the prices? I KNOW this is something us junkers can do!!

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

Kirk those are great...so glad your wife is "forward" in asking for pics. And to think I was so proud of my little ole plastic ones glued together, lol. Hope the artist joins us here. June

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

Those are so cute! Wow, I am just amazed what people come up with.

I'm wondering how they're put together too. See how each one has a glass ball in the center. I wonder if the plates are drilled with a hole and threaded on glass drawer pull or door knob or something. Or maybe a lamp finial. But how would that attach to the pipe?

Curious about the price too. I see one I might have had to have bought had I been there, lol.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good eye, Garden-Potter. An elbow was attached to a copper pipe. The elbow was then attached to a flange...which looked like a BIG washer. Then, everything was silicone glued... no drilling. I will share your kind words with the lady as the sale is throughout Nov./Dec. and we want to go back and buy one. The little ones were under $20; the bigger ones were under $30. Aren't they beautiful?

• Bright199
    16 years ago

These are the prettiest ones I've seen. I have a web site somewhere I think that tells how to make them. But they drilled holes in their's. There was someone from the past here on GJ that made some as well. Beautiful thanks for posting.

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

WOW...considering the price of copper pipe and all the work involved...she is selling them at a very reasonable price!

Gee...I sure wish it wasn't such a long drive from here! I'd be there in a jiffy! LOL

~Sandy~

• nancelee
    16 years ago

I'm just wondering how they're displayed? I sell the teacup birdfeeders at craft shows and am always looking for a better way to set them up. I have gone to stacking two milk crates and inserting the copper poles thru the openings in those but I'm always looking for a better way.

Those are lovely and it looks like they are in a kettle? with something for filler to hold them up. Did you notice? Thanks for sharing this with us.

Nancy

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Now that I look more closely at them, I notice the leaves are directly opposite one another. I wonder if, instead of soldering, she drilled a hole in the pipe and put the tubing through the hole...maybe siliconing it in place. Or...they could still be soldered in place. Hmmmmmm......

Don't mind me...I don't solder yet...and am looking for an easy out! LOL

~Sandy~

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

For silicone glue, I have found a marine silicone made by GE that is the cat's meow!!!

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Does it dry really clear? Where did you buy it?

~Sandy~

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Thanks for the smile! I especially like the Raggedies peering through them in the background!
    Raggedies Rock!

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

What a nice crafter to let Carol take pics! Usually they don't like that! Those dish flowers are really pretty. I've been wanting to make some, but I strongly dislike drilling glass! This is definitely more up my alley, if all you do is glue them. Thanks for sharing them with us!

• mayme
    16 years ago

Wow! Those are really pretty. I have lots of
    glass, now if I can just figure out how to do them.
    Thanks Carol and Kirk!
    Mayme

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

Oh I love the dish flowers(-: I have seen some plate flowers that I really liked too.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Kirk, I would like to know what the 'flange' looks like that she glued to the back of the plate. I have the copper caps that I found at home depot but can't find any flanges.
    I'm going to try to attach a link to the instructions I found.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass flowers

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bright, thanks for the instructions. It looked like the copper elbow was attached to a huge copper washer (with a lot of silicone), the part Garden-potter called a flange. Hopefully, we'll get back out soon to purchase one. We had a snow storm last night! Sandy, you may be right about the leaves. I think these flowers are sooooo beautiful. Nanceelee, I didn't notice how they were displayed. Looks like a tub. Great picture in the instructions, Bright.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I would have to get one! They are fantastic and very reasonably priced! Thank Carol for being brave enough to ask if she could take pictures and I certainly hope the artist joins the group.

• mommyandme
    16 years ago

These are gorgeous! I have to try some!

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Your welcome Kirk... I keep comming back to look. There are some wonderful pieces of glass she used. I would rather use silicone than drill. I am too afraid to break something.

• rere
    16 years ago

They're beautiful Kirk. Tell Carol thanks for getting the pics.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I really like the dish flowers! I have never done the glass ones (I am 'afraid' of drilling the glass)
    but I have made plastic ones.

• yellowtractor
    16 years ago

bright199- I was looking at the dish flowers and noticed the instruction link you posted. Thank you for those. I noticed that these instructions were on page 18. I'm interested in the name of the book if you have it and what other treasures might be contained in its pages.
    RonJ

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

Carol and Kirk, all I want to say is just THANKS A LOT! Ever since you revisited the glass flowers I just HAD to get me the fixings for some! These are what I have so far. I have 1-3 more on the way-but don't look exactly right--need more glass to make them look right. I could only find the galvanized flange, PVC elbow, and PVC pipe--all 1/2 inch for weight and size. I painted them all gold to match. Thinking back though I should have painted them green to look like a stem. I may, if I ever find some good colored glass, vary them a bit. I haven't put them out in the garden yet. I'm waititng to do all the cleanup of the yards before I do...and it's been raining!
    BTW Kirk, have you been working on that rain chain? I'm sure you have been busy catching your class up with all those missed days of school due to the snow.
    TTYL
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Rat's Crafts

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jules, Those are JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Great colors, and thanks for showing folks how you can attach them with drilling. I can't wait to see them in your gardens!!!!! You'll have to post a picture, and we'll post a picture too! Way to Go! FANTASTIC JOB! Bear Hugs! Kirk BTW, thanks for reminding me about my rain chain...it should be a snow chain after this winter! LOL I've got to pull all of the parts out and finish it!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I meant to say "without" drilling. :o)

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

HI Kirk,
    Thanks for the compliments! So, I take it that you and Carol went back and bought those wonderful glass/ceramic flowers then? Has the snow melted yet in your neck of the woods. I'm getting a little bit restless in getting the yard back together. Goign slow this year for sure. I just divided my daylilies and shared with a neighbor. Looking forward to hauling all those wet bags of compost/mulch/soil to my yard. :-) Things need freshening that's for sure-but it's been cold this week with a lot of rain.
    Yeah, you got to pull that rain chain out to work on it! You could still hang it up to hear the melting snow ting down it.
    TTYL and have a great week.
    Love, Jules

• vagardenlady
    16 years ago

Hi Desertrat,
    Thanks for sharing the pics. Where did you find that elbow for the dish flowers.

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

vagardenlady, I found the elbows in the PVC pipe/sprinkler section of Lowes. The flange I foudn down more in the plumbing department. The trick was finding all the 1/2 inch size-- any bigger adds volume and weight to the project. The flange is galvanized steel and the elbow and pipe are schedule 40 (PVC). I wish it woudl warm up just a tad more. I got some soil today to add to my beds but don;t have the energy to get it done just yet.And when I get that done then I can plant my glass and plastic flowers. :-)...SIGH
    Love, Jules

• mjowest
    16 years ago

Here's my first attempt at a glass flower- I need to spray paint the stem rusty (when we hit 50 degrees)-
    included is the spigot that I actually paid real money for.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

What a great project ! I wonder if there are alternatives to copper pipe ........ the price of copper here is so expensive , I couldn't even make a profit on it if I used all copper ! Is there anything else that would be suitable ?

• mjowest
    16 years ago

I don't know what it's called, but if you look at my stem-
    it's a metal pipe. I found all the fittings (myself!) at Menards. The flange is BIg- but it's also strong. I'll try to get a photo of the back of the flower posted soon.

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

I am using pvc conduit like what they use for electrical wiring. It's a dark grey color and is usually found next to the copper pipe in the home improvement stores. I paint mine with fusion paint for plastics. I did some hose guides this past summer and I think it worked out great. I used a color called 'hammered copper'. I plan on using a green for my flowers, I think.

{{gwi:198610}}

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mjowest, I LOVE your dish flower! WAY TO GO!!!! Did you use GEII? That's what I used, and the flowers seem to be holding well. GREAT JOB! Did you use a crystal for the water on your spigot? That is too cool! I can't wait to put our dish flowers outside when the snow goes away! (We have soooooo much snow, and I am ready for spring!) Adina, I love your idea! Everyone is just so dog-gone creative on the forum! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Great ! I can browse Menards and check out what they have. I wasn't sure there even WAS anything else ... now that I know - I'll get the production line a movin' !!!
    ~ Thanks ! ~

• mjowest
    16 years ago

Actually- I'm ashamed to say that I picked up some silicone from Family Dollar (can't think of the brand and it's waaaaay upstairs) that seems to work, gulp, better than GEII.

I didn't make the spigot- I bought it for myself for a birthday present back in November. The gentleman who made it said he wired the crystal in the spigot-

Copper was/is just way to much $$ for me to try to make one myself!

We had a heat wave today! 40 degrees! Now the garage is flooded, but the snow piles aren't gone yet.

• justlinda
    16 years ago

Mjowest.....I really like your flower...really, really. Thanks for posting it.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Ok... you all are making me HAVE to go shopping. Kirk I am anxiously awaiting photos of Carol and your creations. I keep thinkin of parts I have already. I really need to stay on task and finish the eagle and stand first....but!!!! :~)

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bright, you'll LOVE creating the dish flowers!!!!! We still have over 4 feet of snow but I'll take some pictures on a sunny day! The flowers were SOOOOOOO fun and easy to make!!!!! I can't wait to see your eagle complete on its stand.... and your future dish flowers!!!!!!!! You always inspire me!!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

OK, Im going to see if I can post this directly from my desktop....I planted my glass flowers today! This is my all time favortie one!
    Love, Jules
    Royal Blue Glass Flower

PS: OK, I tried doing this a different route. I do not want to store photos at yet another photo storage place online just to have to learn about it all over again...so bear with me until I can figure a simpler solution to NOT having thumbnail photos posted. :-)

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

OK, yet more...Some I like and some I don't. The first one here is my 2nd favorite so far. The last large gold and pink glass flower I think I'm goign to add some blue to it--either that or move it to a better location.
    royal blue and peach glass flower
    pink and gold glass flower
    large glass pink and gold flower
    flower bed with glass flowers and totems

• whimsy2
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    Does anyone know if E 6000 adhesive will work with the dish flowers? That is all I could find today after searching at Wal-Mart and Michaels. They also had Liquid Nails and a new glue by Goop that sounded like it might work. I haven't had any luck in finding the GE II that I read several were using. Thanks for your help! Whimsy :)

• Bright199
    16 years ago

My Walmart has small tubes of GE over by the paint section rather than in the craft section. I don't know about the other glues.

• nmgirl
    16 years ago

My Walmart usually carries GE in the DIY/home improvement dept. on a bottom shelf. Be sure to check the expiration date.

• loislaney
    16 years ago

I went to the dollar store yesterday and got some plastic flower plates. I'm just going to try and glue them together with a flange on the back to slip over pvc pipe painted green with paint for plastic. Will see if all this works and let you know.

• sandib_2008
    15 years ago

can anyone please let me know instructions for dish flowers,thanks

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Hi Sandib!

Do a search here for dish flowers and you should be able to find all kinds of methods. I use two methods myself depending on the plate material. You can drill the plates with a diamond drillbit and attach them together with a bolt and nut and attach it through the pipe you're putting the flower on or you can glue the flowers together with GE Silicone II and attach a "hanger" to the back. Some people use "L" plumbing fittings on the back and slide that down over the pipe "stem" or I glue a coat hanger bent a piece of coat hanger into the shape of a hook and placed it in the pipe stem. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more directions.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!