Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hog Panel Arbor produces RESULTS!

Posted by jeannespines 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 5, 11 at 21:07

Don't know if you remember this Hog Panel Arbor that DH & I made in May 2009 for a couple Bittersweet plants I wanted to try to grow. By August '09, it looked like this:

Bittersweet Growing Hog Panel Arbor 8.09

The next yr in July, 2010 ...lots & lots of growing foilage!

Hog Panel Arbor Side 7.10

And TODAY, look what I saw FINALLY: (after several nights of frost):
Bittersweet Arbor CloseUp B11.11

And here's what I cut & laid on the Hoosier cabinet to take a pic:
Bittersweet Branches A11.11

HOORAY! My GJ arbor FINALLY paid off! Oh, the "Bittersweet" of life! LOL! Jeanne S.

medium winking smiley Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hog Panel Arbor produces RESULTS!

OH how lucky you are!! I love Bittersweet. It does not seem to grow in Kentucky. Thank you for sharing your arbor. Jlily

o

Took awhile but 2010 was very cooling looking area & then finally some berries!! Makes your heart sing to find little treasures like that in the garden. Jan

o

Jeanne, I am so glad for you. I love Bittersweet.

Marylee

o

Wonderful!! We just cleaned up the row of lilacs out front that the snow storm took out. Found some bittersweet vines wrapped around some of the branches. It's so pretty!

o

YAY Jeanne! It took a while, but it was sure worth it! Looks beautiful!

o

Ya did good, Jeanne! I loved your hog fence arbor idea when you first posted it and now I see just how great it turned out. And the fruits of your labor look good for fall too!

o

Glad your bittersweet is doing great!
I have tried planting seeds here, and a
friend in Indiana has planted also. Neither of us
has had any plants....2 very separate
locations with no luck!

o

Yeah!

For anyone wanting to plant Bittersweet keep in mind that it can be extremely invasive and is on many states invasive species list.

o

Actually, there are two varieties of bittersweet. The variety from Asia is invasive. The variety from America is not.

o

How cool, Love that arbor!!!

o

Thanks, GJers!
bookjunky...I bought the plants back in '09 at a nursery so HOPEFULLY they are the American variety & another at a local plant sale. Thanks for that info. Jeanne S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here