Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Secret Santa Exchange

Marlene Kindred
13 years ago

Good evening fellow junkers!

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding and/or unhappiness about this year's Christmas exchange. I certainly have no intention of upsetting anyone, but it is my feeling that since this exchange is open to everyone who has posted on the GJ forum and since the objects/gifts involved are indeed either already garden junk or will be used for garden junk, then that makes this exchange and all of the information that goes along with it relevant to be posted on the discussion side as well as the conversation side of the forum. That being said, I will continue to post on this side of the forum information that may pertain to the exchange. At this point, the only thing left to do is to begin a post about what our participants receive from their SS partners. I will start a new thread near the beginning of December about that and anyone who wants to post their comments about their gifts is welcome to do so. If anyone wants to post something on the conversation side, please do so as most of us do check both sides.

Please be considerate of ALL of our GJers. We have a lot of new folks who have joined us and I for one am happy that they are here and encourage them to post their ideas/questions/projects here for everyone to help with. This is a great forum with many talented people participating. We do not need to be so formal in our policing techniques that we cause someone undue stress or anxiety. This is a FUN and CREATIVE outlet for us all....let's try to keep that way.

Happy Shopping and Happy Creating!

~Marlene

Comments (43)

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Cheers and here's to moving forward.

I tucked away a few things for this event and now can't find them. LOL It reminds me of the times I hid Christmas presents from my DD when she was small and not finding them until Easter.

A girl named "Max"

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

As if life isn't stressful enough, eh?

• kelly_oh
    13 years ago

Ummm, not sure where to post this, but, I sent my box out yesterday!!!! and as usual, I forgot to put my Gardenjunk name on it!!!! shew!!! I was in such a hurry to get it out.
    SO, if you get a package from an A. Domer or Davis (not me, another girl at work) from Ohio, its from ME, and it doesn't say secret santa on it, so DON't OPEN until - are we waiting this year til Christmas?? - until you're allowed :)

• sandyl
    13 years ago

I sent mine out a week ago this passed Saturday but I haven't seen a post in a good long while from the person I sent it to in Ottumwa IA, but I hope she received it. I put from Secret Santa on it and a card inside with my name on it. Please don't open til Christmas. Can't wait to receive mine in the mail. I will somehow wait until Christmas Eve. My birthday is on December 11th but if I receive it i'll wait until Xmas. Sandy

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Merry Christmas to.- - - - - .My box is on it's way!Leaving Texas and headed north. I remembered my Garden Junk name, I put Secret Santa as my name on the return label (my real name and GJ'er name is on the inside)and after it was all nicely wrapped for it's journey and the box was taped shut.............I couldn't remember if I checked ALL items to remove the price tags!! My bad! I hope I did. Shopping and trying to fulfill as many of my recipients likes list was a blast. Being this is my first year I hope I've done it right. Too bad we just do this once a year....and I don't particularly like Christmas shopping....this was more like a treasure hunt. So someone should be receiving a big package about Thursday or Friday and it's up to you if you choose to wait till Christmas or dive in when ya get it.

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Finally got my SS gift box on it's way yesterday and I too forgot to put my GJ name on it. If you live in TX and get a box from NM it's from your Secret Santa!
    BTW- My SS box arrived last week and it's sitting here teasing me, giving me that look.

nmgirl aka Sylvia H.

• chelcass
    13 years ago

Sent my package out Friday, Boy was it heavy. I tried to put in a little of everything my SS person liked. It was so much fun wrapping all the little goodies. I hope she likes everything.

Chelcass

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Oh Me Oh My.......I got my SS package about 10 minutes ago....let's see, if I can count right I have 19 days to wait!!!!!! TORTURE is all I can see in my future!!!
    Thanks in advance for whatever that special box contains.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Well, I opened a big box that came just a little bit ago ... thinking it was a new area rug I ordered from Penneys over Black Fri (wondering why they would fold it up into a big square box!)...but, then I saw some shiny stickers on the box...a card lay on top...so I opened the card & my SS friend is "frou" (excessfroufrou). I closed the box back up & will try to wait for Christmas!

I could see a bit of curved wrought iron & thought, oops, this isn't wrapped up inside! I think I need to tape the box back shut! Thanks so much, frou...looking forward to Christmas! Jeanne S.

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

Sent my pkg out today.I forgot to enclose my Gardenjunk name. Will reveal it after Christmas when she posts that she received and has opened the pkg. Had loads of fun trying to find little things that I thought she might like.I agree with oldcrafty, it is too bad we only do it once a year.It would be fun to do it again in the Spring when gardening is starting up again. Just a thought. Again thanks Marlene for doing this for all of us. Happy Holidays to all of our talented Garden Junkers out there! Enjoy your SS gifts. LOL

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

I got my box marked Secret Santa yesterday, DH said to open it but I'm waiting to Christmas. Woo Hoo! Jeanne, sorry I forgot to mark it as Secret Santa and to wait to open to it.
    Frou

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, my SS boxes are on the way too! One is heading off to a VERY cold place and the other to a nice, sunny warm place! Hope the postal folks ate their wheaties...they're gonna need them when they pick up one of the SS boxes!

Fellow junkers...keep your posts coming!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

This looks like so much fun! Hopefully next Christmas I can participate and enjoy it as much as the rest of you! Thanks Marlene for organizing it this year. Even those of us who don't participate enjoy reading the experiences of those who do. I can't wait to see the pictures!

• sandyl
    13 years ago

Santa still hasn't made it to my house, i'm starting to think I might not measure up to all ya'll junkers. I know its still ummm 14 days away till Christmas, so i'll try to keep my chin up and tread along. Hope my goodie box didn't fall off Santa's slay. Sandy

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well Sandy, I know for sure that Santa is heading your way, so not to worry!

But also, as a reminder to everyone...your packages should be on their way by now, so if you're having a problem with that, let me know so I can let you SS recipient know that Santa hasn't forgotten them!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Marlene...I'm sorry to say the "elf" here got ice & blizzardly conditions ... & Santa had to move his "sleigh" (with a packed box ready for delivery) inside the big shed! So now Mon morn when the PO opens, the elf will be doing a happy dance at the front door! Merry Christmas! Jeanne S.

• tinfoilhat
    13 years ago

I wished for a 1964 Red Jaguar XKE convertible. My SS box just arrived and it looks like it went thru a war zone getting here. I hope the hood didn't get scratched.

• sandyl
    13 years ago

Thanks for the up date Marlene. The bad weather probably will be delaying a lot of deliveries. I been out today putting out electric water trough de-icers for all my goats so I don't have to haul water to them. Also been putting up tarps around the barn to keep the cold draft out and putting down new pine shavings for bedding. Hope everyone is safe and well. I know Santa will find me in time,,,OH, happy birthday to me, Happy birthday to meeeeeee.. One more year and then it's the BIG ONE... Sandy

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

I'm DYING to see what everybody got !!! I just KNOW that eveybody's heart will skip a beat when they open their gift !! Junkers are the best !!

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

I got mine sent today. One day late I'm afraid, but I think it will get there before the big day.
    Laura

• backyardmom
    13 years ago

I got mine on Wed.Sent mine out today.Mine is going someplace sunny and warm I hope.It's cold here,getting warmer Sunday.But a rain storm coming.So Santa will either need a sleigh or row boat for his many stops.Can't wait to open on Christmas Eve. Don't forget to post a picture of you and your SS gift.That's the best fun!
    Joan

• lizzardly
    13 years ago

I got my Secret Santa present yesterday and I feel like such a heel because I haven't sent mine out yet. I will be at the post office bright and early on Monday though. I just needed one more weekend of yard saling to fill 'er up. I'm so glad I waited too I found something spectacular today the peice de resistance that was missing. Hope the recipient likes it!

azcactusflower - I did a little detectiving and figured out that you're my SS unless there's another member from Pima, AZ. I can't wait to open the package. It's so heavy! Tempation runs rampant, but I'm trying to be good.

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

I have been anxiously waiting to see your post that you had receive it. Lizzardly, you are a good detective. You are absolutely right. It is this country gal from Southeastern Arizona. I hope you like what I sent you. It was such fun to hunt around for things I thought you might like. It's hard to wait,BUT soon you can tear into it. A very blessed Christmas to you and an exceptinal good and happy New Year.
    Enjoy and LOL.

azcactusflower aka Sylvia P.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Boy, I've been wanting to peek ...& now a blizzard! Marlene, maybe you should start the post where we share pics of our gifts??? Told DH today the weather & decorating for christmas is making me want to open it! LOL! Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow....everyone is getting so excited! Tinfoilhat....I sure hope your package was still in some kind of shape when it arrived and the post office didn't completely ruin everything inside! You'll have to let your SS person know....

I'll start a new post a little closer to Christmas...I'm hoping that will encourage everyone to wait to open their presents!

Patience junkers! ;-)

• leveta
    13 years ago

I didn't get in on it this yr, but am enjoying reading everyones posts...Can't wait to see everyones goodies...

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Thanks goodness, the drift has been plowed from the front of the big shed & Santa's sleigh slid out the driveway! The busy elf did a happy dance in front of the PO this morning singing this song as while dropping the Secret Santa gift into the mail:

"He's making a list
    and checking it twice.
    He's going to find out who's naughty and nice.
    Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town.

Happy Holidays! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:198687}}

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad you were able to get out finally Jeanne! By what I've seen on the news you all have really had some terrible weather out your way! Stay warm!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Sounds like packages are really coming and going!!! Hope my recipient soon posts that she received hers as she should have gotten it last week and I don't see anything posted as yet! Hope it didn't get lost somewhere because I had it packed with lots of goodies.

• sandyl
    13 years ago

Guess what I got today? Yes, Santa has arrived and he came by way of TX, yesssssss.. Now how am I suppose to wait until Christmas Eve to open this package? Don't know who my Secret Santa's GJ's name is, but thanks Ms.C.M. eeeeeeeeeee.Its a beautiful package. Doing the happy dance..Sandy

• paulette19
    13 years ago

Wooo Hoooo !!!!! Got my Secret Santa box, and it's just sitting under my tree teasing me. I swear I hear voices from the box, " open me, open me ". Can't wait for Christmas morning!

• chelcass
    13 years ago

Happy Dance! It came today. My Secret Santa box was sitting on the porch waiting for me when I got back from town. it is sitting on the dog crate next to my computer and I promise I only *gently* shook it once. Oh boy! hurry up Christmas..........I love doing these swaps they are just so much fun.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Sandy in TN, your Secret Santa was me, Seamommy. I read your earlier post and felt so bad that I waited so long to send the package. But I'm glad to see that you have it now. I got mine also from my SS and I'm chomping at the bit to open it. Good thing it's wrapped securely since my 3 yo DGS has opened all the other gifts under the tree already! This is so much fun, Marlene, thank you so much for all your hard work on this. Cheryl

• kelly_oh
    13 years ago

Well, I'm a slacker!! I have had my box for umm, going on 2 weeks now, but I keep forgetting to post that I have it, hope I haven't stressed my Santa out!!! I'm sorry if so!!! I had to kinda hide it away otherwise my pitiful willpower and my girls' constant "open it,open it!!!" would have done me in. :)
    Its a nice big hefty box and I'm trying to be patient.....

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

This is so exciting reading all the posts about junkers receiving their pkgs. Can't wait to see all the pictures of gifts received.I know how hard it is to wait, but it won't be long now!! Patiently waiting for mine to get here too! This has been so much fun, kinda makes you feel like a kid waiting for that final moment when you can dig in!

• chelcass
    13 years ago

7 days and counting............ :)

• dollydee
    13 years ago

I got my package in the mail yesterday...can't wait to open it!! :)

• sandyl
    13 years ago

Seamommy I had noooo idea who was my Secret Santa, I'm opening mine on Christmas Eve and I'm so excited to see what's in my box. This has been so much fun. Does make you feel like a kid again. Counting down 1,2,3,4,OPEN.. Thanks Secret Santa / Cheryl. Sandy

• tehuti
    13 years ago

Yes, my Secret Santa parcel arrived last Saturday but I was packing for a vacation to SUNNY California and forgot to post a thank you. Now I have survived the rainy trip and awaiting the time to open it.

BTW, sunny California - well it isn't. Rain, rain, and more rain. And more to come.

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Hoe, Hoe, Hoe,

My Secret Santa's package arrived safely in Minnesota. I couldn't resist shaking it just abit but I'll wait to open it.

I mailed package number one out to my SS GJ friend way out West. It's in a 36" x 3" tube. I forgot to put a note in it saying she could open this package right away. The second package is going out today. Sorry for the delay but I'm still in the process of relocating and just couldn't find my diamond core drill bits. Hmmm .... too many hints?

Santa's delivery service said they were pretty sure both packages would get to my GJ SS friend by Christmas.

Cheers,

Max

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

Hmmm, hoping my package arrived from Ohio - I forgot to put SS on the outside too. ;-)

• backyardmom
    13 years ago

Thanks Paulette>I love everything you sent. {{gwi:198688}} I was surprised what you got to fit in the box. The owl will go on my nature tree that I leave up all year,At Christmas it's a kitchen decoration tree.With all of of gadgets you use in the kitchen,
    Joan

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Wow! Nice stuff backyard mom! That's cute having a year around nature tree. I have seen a kitchen tree but it had toy utensils not real ones! Would be cute with the old tin cookie cutters too. Anyway lots of goodies to work with! Love the butterfly & bird on the branch. Jan

Sponsored