Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spoon Hunt

Posted by flowers12 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 22:07

I've been searching for bigger spoons, cake servers, serving forks and anything that would flatten out and make a good backing for my plate flowers. It's almost impossible to find ones that will flatten out and have a handle that will fit in the PVC pipe. I finally bought a cake server at the 99 cent store so I could put it on the back of this large and heavy flower. I got excited the other day and the Dollar Store and bought two big spoons for a dollar and thought I would go home and see how they flattened out. Flattened really well but the darn handle wouldn't fit in the PVC. Ugh! My DH said he could grind the handles down so they would fit and he did a good job. Sometimes after searching for so long I forget what the parameters are.

Image link: Spoon Hunt (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spoon Hunt

I got several stainless steel spatulas at the dollar store, giving me a nice, large, flat surface to work with. They have cheap plastic handles. When the plastic was broken off, the remaining steel handle fit nicely into my copper pipe.

o

I know exactly what you are saying. I even raided my own silverware drawer.

The other day I was in a thrift store heading for the spoons and a woman beat me to them and took about 20 or so. I only found one that suited after that. I have started carrying a little piece of pvc with me to test the handle width.
I also bought a serving fork which had enough surface.
I wish that woman would buy the ones I saw yesterday, rather hard to flatten and with a design "cut" right where the bend would be. I've had them break when there is a cut there so I passed them up tho they had thin handles with roses on them. I actually prefer spoons with roses or stars on the handles, lol.

I think we are competeing with the wind chimers!

Kathy

o

I've been looking for small spatulas and cake servers, too. They're hard to find in the thrift stores here. I'm going to try the $1 store.

When a handle is too large for the pipe I grind it down or use a 3/4 inch pipe rather than a 1/2 inch. I like to use a 3/4 inch for the larger flowers.

o

I went to the 99 cent store today and bought 5 cake servers. They are kinda nice, have 3 cutout slots and they have a large surface for the bigger plates. I like that they are already flat and they bend easy and..... they fit the 1/2 inch PVC pipe. I don't like to grind the handles down but yes, my DH did 2 for me yesterday.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here