Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
attaching branches to the wall?

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 23:08

Help clever friends! My son is opening a Japanese sushi place and he wants to create a Japanese garden inside. We thought we could paint tree trunks on the walls and attach real tree branches that arch over the diners with paper lanterns. The ceiling is high, so no toupes would be lost, but what would be a safe way to attach them...don't want any body to get a clunk on the head. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Topsie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attaching branches to the wall?

Possibly some large eye screws and wire wrapped around to hold them up.

o

depends on what the ceiling is like, but I was thinking wire, too

o

We actually did this in my daughter's room. We put cup hooks in the ceiling in various places where the branches would rest, then we wired the branches to the hooks....not tightly, but just hanging there. It worked for about 8 years, so I know it's safe. We didn't have any branches fall during that time either.

o

Depending what kind of walls and how big are the branches.

If the walls are of stud construction, anchor to the studs only. Use an electronic stud finder.

If the walls are masonry, use masonry anchors. There are many kinds. Ask the people at Home Depot. They will advice you.

dcarch

o

A commercial building usually has a suspended ceiling. Cup hooks and eye screws will damage the tiles and won't hold anyway. You can't put screws into the metal track because it will damage the track and cause it to rust.

You can loop fishing line around the ceiling track and put the eye screws in the branches. I did this for a holiday display and it worked very well. We used Origami ornaments and it turned out beautifully.

o

Before you go too far, better run this idea past the Health Dept. (or whoever does restaurant inspections in your area), the Fire Dept. and your insurance company. There may be liability or safety issues.
Sounds like a fun idea but better safe than sorry.

o

Yes - sounds pretty but I was also thinking you'd need to to check the fire regulations as it's a commercial building. They might not like the idea of dry wood and paper lanterns overhead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here