Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Garden Junk in Winter (Lots of Pictures)

kirkus
13 years ago

Hi Everyone! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I wanted to share a few garden junk treasures in the snow. I didn't put quite everything away this winter! :o) ENJOY! Bear Hugs! Kirk

I decided to leave my bottle tree out in the snow this year... It's sheltered under a fir tree so not as much snow there...

{{gwi:138466}}

Ice hanging from my silverware chimes and rain chain...

{{gwi:198980}}

{{gwi:198981}}

My $3 garage sale windmill...

{{gwi:198982}}

{{gwi:198983}}

This is our arbor that has the blue insulators on top...buried under the snow...

{{gwi:198985}}

Blue bottle chime we made that hangs outside our kitchen window...

{{gwi:198986}}

My chainsaw carved bear Bart which was a gift from a student. The birdhouse was a gift from Jeanne from the Secret Santa Garden Junk Exchange a few years back... Another picture of Bart after yesterday's snowstorm...

{{gwi:198987}}

{{gwi:198988}}

A snowman rummage sale bird feeder...

{{gwi:198989}}

My trellis I made from an old extension ladder...

{{gwi:198990}}

{{gwi:198991}}

An old headboard fence...

{{gwi:198992}}

I just had to include a few photos I took today of our backyard after yesterday's snowstorm.

{{gwi:198993}}

{{gwi:198994}}

Comments (25)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Wow! I had to get a blanket to wrap up in! Looks beautiful but very cold!! Do the branches break off if you grab one? I can remember it being that cold! Your GJ looks wonderful in the snow. Love the trellis with the poinsettias on it, are they metal? Snow just adds an interesting finishing touch & gives some things a whole new look like the insulators fence. The blue bottles are stunning!! Thanks for showing! Jan

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jan! I love the snow...AFTER I get us plowed out! :o) The poinsettias are wind spinners made of metal. We are expected to get below zero tonight... Brrrr... The branches do snap at times...in fact, I had a whole tree down in our driveway/road this morning... Gave me plenty of wood for a bonfire with s'mores and hot cocoa! Gotta think positive! :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

• lily51
    13 years ago

Gardens are beautiful even in the snow! Love the blue bottles against the white. And at first glance, before I read the caption, I thought the bear was a real animal!
    Thanks for sharing!

• garden-potter
    13 years ago

Your place is amazing! I love the blue bottles against the snow! I need to find your post of how to make the bottle chimes, very cool! In the last picture, looks like you also have a great view! Beautiful photo's; thanks for sharing!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby Garden Creations

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Great photos Kirk! I love the ladder trellis.
    I know I'm way behind the curve asking this but I remember you talking about moving quite awhile back but I don't recall hearing if you did. Did you?

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. It's below zero as I write this so I'll be enjoying the outside through our windows today! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :o)

Nmgirl, we decided to stay. The housing market isn't great for selling a home plus we couldn't find anything like what we have here out in nature. :o)

• cait1
    13 years ago

How BEAUTIFUL!!!

I loved the things that had ice hanging from them.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

The GJ in the winter is beautiful, but brrrrrr it looks cold there.

Thanks for showing your beautiful yard and all the great things you've made.

Happy New Year!

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

Kirk, the pictures are beautiful. I love seeing the snow, but over here we dread it. Don't have enough to get used to it. You get more snow and colder temps than we do. Right now we're 30 degrees and we think that's COLD!!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Great Garden pics, Kirk! Love, love the contrast of the blue bottles & the white snow...I also left out my blue bottles on the fence & they are fairing well so far!

I love the birdie buffet snowman! I am bookmarking him...may have to make one for home, here! Good ol' barnwood would last a long time!

Esp. like the trellis...it looks great in the winter, too...I remember the "roses"...beautiful! And the icicles on your chimes...spectacular!

The Bart pics are wonderful! Am happy to see that barnwood birdhse out with Bart! That metal bear you added on top is "perfection!" Both pics are great but that 2nd one is postcard perfect!

That last pic needs to be framed! Or on your Christmas cards next yr...or whatever...what a beautiful view from your backyard! God's gift! TFS! Jeanne S.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Your garden junk looks great in the snow. I really like the trellis, so pretty. Thos are great pics of the rain chain and chime. I want to make a bottle chime like that, did you do it, do you have a bottle cutter? I really enjoy all the snow pix. We had tornados here in Arkansas today (not to close) with 3 fatalities. We have more tornados than snow.
    Frou

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Your pictures are great Kirk! LOVE the trellis...hadn't seen that before I don't think. As beautiful as it is...I think I'd rather wait til summer to visit if you don't mind!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments! You made my day! We really do love where we live in the woods. :o) Frou, we have a bottle cutter. The instructions for the chime were in the box. :o) If you look closely, you can see corks in each bottle to hold the knots and separate the bottles. Still want to add a wooden ball inside for more sound. :o) The little gem on the end came from our 10 year old daughter as her contribution. She bought it at a craft fair. :o)

Jeanne, here's a picture of the feeder without snow... thought it might be helpful if you do make one. :o)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE! Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:198995}}

• minnesotamaggie
    13 years ago

Haven't been on the forum for quite awhile--your posts always catch my eye! Really enjoyed looking at your pictures. One has to admit- Winter really is beautiful. Amazing I can still say that-- just getting done with back to back blizzards here in MN. Looks like I may getting a ladder trellis this summer. I showed my DH yours- and he said, "I could make that! I have an old ladder at work!" Yippee! Hope you don't mind!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marlene & Minnesotamaggie, I'm glad you like the ladder trellis. It was so fun to make.

I have to tell you the story behind it. I had taken a paternity leave when our youngest son was born 4 years ago. My wife Carol had an appointment and called me from our nearby small town. She told me an old extension ladder was on the curb with a FREE SIGN on it. She said, "Get here fast!" :o) Well, I bundled our little guy up and rushed to the scene with my pickup truck, my wife standing guard over the ladder. No one was going to get that ladder. By the end of the day, I had made the ladder into the trellis. :o) I drilled holes in the bottom and placed rebar in the holes so it stands up off the ground.

Minnesotamaggie, if your husband does make you a ladder trellis, let me know if you would like some rusty brackets...my treat. I have a huge box of them. :o)

It's below zero here now. Brrrrrrrr....

Bear.rrrr Hugs! Kirk :o)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Kirk...thanks for the "no snow" pic of your "birdy buffet"...I've saved them both...& for the instructions on your ladder trellis. 'appreciated! Jeanne S.

• sb2007suzq
    13 years ago

Beautiful!! The one time of the year everyone likes snow. I love seeing it, but is nice not having to deal with the snow all the time in TN. We only get it occasionally where I am, but love it when we do get it. Mother Nature has been awful to everyone just in the past week and I hope everyone is safe in their homes.

Kirk, thanks for sharing your gorgeous surroundings. Have A Great New Year!

GreenSuzq

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful photos!
    The snow is beautiful. I wouldn't mind having a day or two, but no more-LOL. Here in the Florida panhandle we have had several freezing nights this year. Lowest one in the 20s. It was 32 last night. Usually our worst cold is in January,but it came sooner this year. Hope that is not an omen.

• mary2010
    13 years ago

WOW Kirk . . . your photos are amazingly beautiful. The snow gives a whole new dimension to your great garden art. My favorite are the blue bottles (because I'm partial to anything blue). TFS!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Gorgeous photos.....they are so sharp and clear, what type of camera do you use? The blue bottles are amazing against the snow, ya know that beautiful white stuff we just most of the time see when someone is nice enough to share their pics!! I have so enjoyed your pics for several days now, I keep going back to them as they are all so pretty and I just love all your garden "junk", gotta have junk to love junk!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments. :o) Everyone is always so encouraging on the forum.

Oldcrafty, I have a Canon Powershot SX110IS. I mainly take pictures with it in "Auto" but I've been experimenting with some of the other functions. It's a pretty simple camera to use. I like simple! :o)

Happy January, Everyone! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Hello, Everyone! My name is Marylee and I live in Ohio. I have been lurking and posting on the Tole Painting and Decorating forums for several months. I just today learned about Garden Junk in a post by purplemoon. I came to see and I love all the beautiful pictures. If it is alright with you I would like to hang around.

Marylee

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

cool yard for sure..
    I have a Canon powershot SX10IS, with that great 20x power zoom....
    and I too, use it mainly on Auto, on the 'macro' setting...I have great luck with it.
    I got mine at a pawn shop and probably won't replace it in any near future.

{{gwi:198996}}

taken several yards away...and set the zoom to the max...

{{gwi:198997}}

I didn't even see the pinecones, as I was taking these pictures..not until I got home and uploaded them..
    these were taken in the Skokomish Indian Reservation, on Hood Canal..Mother's Day, this past spring..

{{gwi:198998}}

we have both sides of the state well represented, don't we?

Becky, in Olympia...western side of Washington

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Kirk - what a pleasant surprise to see your thread when I came over here. Already have commented on the trellis on the Holiday/Decorating forum - still my favorite however I love seeing your other 'garden junk'. I especially like the blue bottle windchime. Your pictures are great - there is just a magical quality seeing everything covered in fresh fallen snow - a day later however I want it gone - lol. Love the story about your wife guarding the ladder - I would have done the same thing :).....

Lynne

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

It's always a treat to read your posts Kirk! We get snow here & enough of it, thanks to that great lake effect snow machine, but we don't have views like that, nor do I have such nice garden decor yet, but I'm working on it!

Thx for the updates & instructions!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting