Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Galvanized Tub Indoor Decor

jeannespines
16 years ago

I've been decorating this week! I love this project because it is an "sort-of" indoor gardening idea. Use a galvanized tub, drill hole in bottom side for lights; cut plexi-glass sheet to fit tub about an inch down from the top. cover plexi-glass with blue cellophane. Add fake snow! Wa-la!!! An ice-skating rink!

As you can see this is a new galvanized tub...I leave my old ones out all winter with the dirt left in them...so this is a shiny skating pond! It's one of my favorite decorations I made 2 Christmas' ago. Saw the idea in a speciality shop! What fun! Jeanne S.

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (14)

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh, that is so cute. What a great idea. Ever since I was little every Christmas I have either made or thought about making a little ice skating rink scene with a mirror and cotton or whatever I had on hand that year. This is a whole new twist on that idea! I Love it!!! And I already have 2 frosted snowmen just like that, they are some of my favorite little guys to bring out for Christmas. Pretty deer, too. I bet they just glow with the light comming from the bottom like that.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Oh, I bet that's so pretty with the blue lights. I've never seen anything like it before,how cute! :) That would work inside or outside,too :)

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Awesome!Merry Christmas!

• scottymam
    16 years ago

What a neat idea! You are very talented indeed!

Ellie

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Awww, that's so cute! You did a great job! Whenever I see an idea somewhere, I always have to hurry up and draw it, otherwise I can't remember what it looked like! That is a decoration that looks really great as is, but when you turn on the lights, it must look incredible!! I love it!!

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed with this idea, that's really nice looking. You could even cover the tub with something like warm and natural batting or fiberfill so it looks like a hill of snow.

Sal

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

that is a cute idea!!! thanks for sharing. I love it!!!!! That would even be cool for a little village...the ideas are endless. Wonderful!!!!

• shysue
    16 years ago

That is a wonderful idea! I'm so glad you shared it with us. I would love to use it for next year. I have to be on the look out for a tub.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a pic I just took without a flash which shows how the skating rink looks in the evening. I want to tell you that the lady's shop where I got this idea told me how to make one. She has a wonderful shop and sold the glass figurines (plus other wonderful things)! I bought one from her and the others in the last couple years from various places...the deer is actually plastic from Menards at the end of the season. Glad you enjoyed! Have fun with this project! Happy Holidays! Jeanne S

{{gwi:199015}}

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

Awww... love it! Thanks for adding that pic w/o the flash. So pretty!

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Pretty! What a fun idea!

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh, I was right, it is just enchanting with the lights turned on!! Do you think this idea would work for outside too, or would the snowmen be too fragile in cold temps? I really love this idea, and I think it would look fantastic outside by the back door!

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

What a great idea! It looks really cool at night!

Thanks for sharing your project.

~Sandy~

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Countrygrl - I don't know if this would work outside...since you live in an area like me, I think the
    wind, rain and snow might make havoc of it. I'm thinking the plexiglass sits down inside and that snow/rain might freeze around it and break it??? And the glass figurines would be breakable but maybe not the plastic ones.
    Good luck on whatever you try to do with it! I also love the looks of it and it would be cool at your door. Jeanne S.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!