Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

silverware windchime

KaraLynn
16 years ago

I saw these at an craft festival and decided to try my hand at making them. It was surprisingly easy to do so! And the spoons make a really nice sound when a breeze hits them. This one and one other are going to be christmas gifts and then I'll make one for my own garden.

{{gwi:199746}}

Comments (12)

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Cool!!!! I love it//// how did you drill the holes in the spoons.....
    I bet it sounds cool toooo!!!
    I would like to try this... did you use fishing line to tie on???
    M E R R Y + C H R I S T M A S !!!!
    susiesunshine

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I used an electric drill with a real small bit to drill the holes. To tie everything together I used the fine wire and small clamping beeds that are used for making necklaces. I didn't want to use fishing line because it tends to get brittle with age.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Are you my Secret Santa??!! You better get that it in the mail to me real soon! Very Cool! I always wanted to make one, but I thought hammering them flat would be too hard. Did you flatten yours?

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

I have one just like that I got years ago. It's my favorite windchime sound. You did a nice job on yours.

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

countrygrl, the regular spoons and tea spoons are real easy to hammer flat. I put the spoons on a board and then used a short handled hammer with a wide head. You just have to flip them a few times to get them perfectly flat. Soup spoons are a bit harder to flatten though. To shape the fork I used a bench mounted clamp/brace (can't think of the right name) to get the tines pointing in the different directions and then used needle nosed pliers to shape them. I flattened the spoons and shaped the fork all in one evening while I was watching TV.

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I made a few of these a couple years ago. They are really nice. Not to hard to make either(-: Heres what mine looks like...
    {{gwi:199748}}

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

vise! hehe........wish I had one! I used titanium drill bits,but I did manage to break them after about 8-10 holes I drilled:) I love how you made it,and the wire is a great idea,because yes,my windchimes of fishing line have broken.Cindee,I love the addition of beads, I like my sparklies:)Both very pretty!

• mjowest
    16 years ago

That is so cool!

Has anyone ever had success with a silverware wind chime "without" drilling holes? Maybe fastening wire around the ends???

ok , I admit it, I'm scared of the drill...

mj

• joannegreco
    16 years ago

Thanks for the great idea. I just posted some pictures of things I made with my mom's stuff and I'm going to try this also. :-)

Joanne

• sherril_2008
    16 years ago

I make these also, and use my husbands large vise and just clamp them into the vise and crank it until they are flat. This works pretty well!

• kat4kittens2002
    16 years ago

why do the spoons need to be flat?

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The spoons don't have to be flat but they move better in the wind and sound nicer when they are.