Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiewantsroses

The Origin of Our Modern Totems

susiewantsroses
15 years ago

I am giving some totems as Christmas gifts. I would like to make special cards attached that explain the origin of the totem.

Does anyone remember who discovered the technique and shared it? I would like to give the credit where credit is due. I usually just tell folks I learned how on the Garden Junk Forum.

Now ya'll who know me, know that I could just make up an adventure of how the totem was born!!!! :) LOL Seems like Christmas is a good time to just give the facts though!

Susie

Comments (12)

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Nope not here Miss Susie. But I sure would like to hear you rendition of the saga of how the totem was born. Now that would be a tradtion wouldn't yousay GJ group. LOL

Kathy

PS: Come on Susie let's see what you come up with.

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

An oral story of the Origin of Craft Totems

"Hello, I'm Spendy", she said at her shop-a-holics Annonimous group meeting. "Hi Spendy", the entire group replied in an erie mechanical united voice.

"I maxed out three credit cards shopping at Goodwill this year", her confession began. The story wove a complex tapestry of excessive compulsive spending. Her addiction had her sprinting from Tag Sale, to Resale, to Wholesale, to Estate Sale, to Auctions, to Divorce Sales and ultimately to the POOR HOUSE. (Spendy, in total denial, just saw the poor house as Shabby Chic and planned to curb shop to rehab it immediately.)

Spendy's last 'big haul' produced three plates, one microwave platter, two jars, a blue bud vase, a candy dish, and a pair of spats.(?) She sat in a state of bliss on the floor, with all of her treasures sprawled around her. "How 'GREEN' I am", she sang. "I'm just recycling", she reasoned. Then images of DH jumped on her thought stage and ranted about needing his garage, shed, and attic spaces back.

Spendy became allert instantly when she heard her husband's truck approching the house. She quickly stacked up her beloved treasures and ran to the hall coat closet better known as "Someday I'll get to this Project closet". All FULL!! Then to the linen closet. Yes indeed it most certainly was full of Linens, VINTAGE!!! This collection was in case her then, 16 yr old son, someday married a girl who liked exactly what Spendy liked. Right....We've all used that excuse.

Next Spendy tried under the couch. That narrow hide-a-way held a multitude of spiders, dog toys, cheerios, and dust bunnies. The spats could be stored there in case the family ever decided to be in a Victorian Parade. (It could too happen!) But the stacked tower was whisped away and out the back door to hide in the cutting garden amongst the flowers.

Fall came and the cutting garden flowers bowed down to Mother Nature's icey cold breath. While drinking her French Vanilla Folgers, (which she bragged was on sale and it was double coupon day), Spendy gazed out the window at her sleeping flower bed. There in all of it's sparkling glory was the colorful,accidental, hidden stack of treasures. It was an object of structural art with a Junkie twist. In an instant her creative wheels were turning. She thought, "I love gardening, I love crafting, I love-love-love treasure hunting". "Here is my excuse to do it all"! "Where's my keys", she cried. "I'm going to GoodWill".

Spendy continued telling the Shop-a-holic Annonimous Group about her scuptural passions. She talked about how puzzeled her DH was when she TOLD HIM. The group thought she said TOTEM. So from that day forward the 'oral story' was repeated from group to group (Glass-A-holics, Spend-a-holics, Glue Sniffers of America, Curb Shoppers Club, Million Marble + Society, Garden Junkie Forum and many more.) The name 'Totem' is still used today.

Recorded by Susiesgotproblems

• katishooked
    15 years ago

LMAO Susie I knew you could do it. Wonderful. You know, I bet you that you rendition is very close to the true birth of a Totem. Love it. Thank you

Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

That's hilarious Susie! And probably not too far off the mark either!

• akup_a
    15 years ago

That's exactly how it happened Susie! hehehehe If'n I toed DH once, I toed'em aw hundred times, It's art!
    A marvelous tall tale . Your a Texan, right?
    Vickie

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

fur a second I thot you been follering me round. LOL
    June, an ETX girl in So CA.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Absolutely hysterical. I darn near fell off this chair reading it. You are too much, SusieRose. I love your super active imagination, creativity, and bubbling-over personality.
    Do you mind if I share your Totem Legend with others, you obviously "wrote the book" on how totems were created.
    LOL

hugs 'n Happy Holidays,
    Karen

• deedlesmom
    15 years ago

you know, just change a few words and that story could work for all of our wonderful treasures.......
    Sheree

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Indeed this story now becomes an "Oral Story". It can be changed, twisted, rewritten, and passed on at will!

During these strange times we need all we can laugh about. I'm best at laughing at myself! I see myself in that story in many places!

Susie

• Momof6
    15 years ago

bump

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump this up to discover the probable origin to our modern day garden totems.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Thanks for the Bump and the gut splittin' laugh!!! Hee Ho! Hee Ho! It's off to totem hunt I go!!!