Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinfoilhat

Cowboy Christmas Tree

tinfoilhat
11 years ago

7' tall wrapped in barbed wire and decorated with horse shoes and barbed wire stars
OK! Everybody sing with me now, "All I want for Christmas is a tetanus shot, a tetanus shot."

{{gwi:200713}}

It wouldn't be Christmas at my house without red chile lights hung somewhere. I think this tree is going to be just the spot.

Comments (19)

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Too Cute!!! Chili pepper lights will look great. Just be careful you do not nick a wire and light yourself up.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness!! I LOVE this!! Who would have thought that barbed wire could make such an awesome Christmas tree! The stars and horseshoes make the tree...and Mr. Cow tree topper. You are the man Jack!

• nonacook
    11 years ago

Chili pepper lights will be a great addition!
    It's a wonderful tree!

• toomuchglass
    11 years ago

ROFL --- a tetanus shot .... I died laughing !!!
    ** You are one brave man !!! ***

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

cool!!!!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

tetanus shot- I laughed out loud as well.

If I know my conifers, that's a bovine spruce.

Great piece.

tj

• oldcrafty
    11 years ago

Great piece and I think it definately needs red chili peppers to finish it off!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    11 years ago

You always make us smile!! Can't wait to see the pics of the chili peppers! tfs.

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Looks terrific! Chili pepper lights will give it a warm glow! Jan

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

That tree is awesome. I always like to see the things you come up with.

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

You are funny, tinfoilhat! LOL! That's a perfect Christmas tree and just right for your red chili lights!

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Oh cowboy...I'm still 'singing' this morn' ... 'All I want for Christmas ...' What a perfectly shaped Christmas tree! Yes, absolutely...chili pepper lights will do 'er! TFS your many talents! Jeanne S.

• tinfoilhat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really did sing, "All I want for Christmas is a tetanus shot."

About 10-15 years ago I stepped on a nail a few days before Christmas, didn't seem to be a problem till I woke up Christmas morning with pain and streaks going up my leg. An hour later I was bent over a table at the hospital emergency room with pants low, flashing plumber's butt at the nurse with a needle in my posterior. After what seemed like a half hour and asking her 3 times if she was done yet I decided to try to regain a little dignity with some small talk. I said I guess if you have to make an emergency room visit, 6am Christmas morning seems to be the time to do it. No customers, no waiting, just in and out. To which she replied, "Come on back in 3 hours when the place is filled with screaming kids with toys up their nose and see what Christmas morning is really like."
    So I guess if your Christmas doesn't start out with a 22 gauge needle in your posterior, screaming kids with toys up their nose, and you can get the vision of my plumber's butt out of your mind you should count your blessings and have a Merry Christmas.

On a side note and to keep this topic related: I got curious and measured the barbed wire on the tree.
    116ft.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I love it! Working with that much barbed wire has to be a stickery challenge!

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

Amazing! Can't wait to see it with the lights.
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

I keep coming back to this post just cause I think this tree is awesome and I'm trying to figure out how I can get John to make some for next year to use in our yard and put lights on them as well...so tell me...did you weld each point where the barbed wire touches the upright metal pieces or did you just spot weld at various places?

Inquiring minds want to know!

• tinfoilhat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The barbed wire on the tree is tied to the tree frame using tie wire. I started on top splicing barbed wire to center rod just below 3/4" nut I welded on center rod. The top few rows only needed a few ties but as I came down I tied barbed wire to every other side support as the wire crossed it and the bottom row is tied to every side support. The barbed wire will tell you when it needs to tied.
    You could weld it if you wanted but I think tying it is easier. I welded the stars because it was easier to clamp and weld vs tying.
    I welded a nut on top on center so I could screw tree topper in it. In this case an old kitchen clock that fit the theme I was going for. I would recommend doing that so you could change top to angel, star, rooster, bird or whatever tickles your fancy as the seasons and years go by.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Thanks for the instructions! Really love it!

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

AMAZING as Usual!!! Bravo!!!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH