Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_strawberrygoat

are there any old timers, from wayyy back, on here?

aka_strawberrygoat
13 years ago

I can't remember what year it was..I'm guessing around 2005, that we had a Christmas ornament exchange and someone who was in charge, made a photo album of it all..

does anyone remember that year?

I did oyster shell santa faces and have no pictures of it..at least none available, cuz they were on a hard drive that crashed..could have been in '04 even..

that was a heck of a lot of fun and I think I remember there were around up to 25 of us..it was a huge success...

hoping someone remembers and also hoping someone might have a way to find pictures..

thanks,

Becky .(*_*).

Comments (20)

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

That was before my time. I joined in 2007. I hope you can find some pictures of your ornaments. A friend of mine made some from a trip she took with some friends to NC one year. They had clams for dinner right off the beach one night and she made Santa ornaments from the clam shells for each friend the next Christmas. They were really cute.

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Sure hope someone finds the pics or can send some pics of some they have made. Sounds really cute, and my grandson needs some projects for 4-H.

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

I've been on here since i think the end of 99 or first part of 2000.However i never joined the ornie exchanges.Have you tried going back into the archives??
    Kathi

• nonacook
    13 years ago

I have been here since the beginning of Garden Junk, when it split from garden accoutrements-- '98, or early 99. Like Kathi, I didn't do the ornie exchange.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I came on last year but would love to see the pics from the ornie album! Oldcrafty, I have a very easy craft I mentioned somewhere last year. Take fan shaped seashells-Wal Mart or craft store,(can use other kinds but the fans look wonderful). Just get some Decoart Craft Twinkles-crystal, a brush on glitter paint & some cheap flat brushes & have the kids coat 1 side & let it dry & then the other. Take a little piece of ribbon ,cord, string or fishing line & put the cut ends together & tie a knot, put the knot in a little dab of Weldbond glue on the concave side of shell right before it starts getting narrow(hinge area I guess) They are beautiful ,some I painted with FolkArt 675champagne metallic paint 1st & some with FolkArt659 Metallic Pearl White paint both work well & they are so pretty on the tree when lights make them really shimmer. That is best glitter I have ever used as it is very natural looking & looks like the item is "dusted' with several colors delicately! I gave them for xmas ornie last year. Most years my family gets a hand crafted ornie from me. Don't have any ideas this year yet so somebody hurry with those pics!! I need ideas! Jan

• aka_strawberrygoat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well, I can't find the one I know I have, somewhere in this house..after tearing things up, looking for it, I decided to just go ahead and get a few made.
    I have a drill out in my van, borrowed from oldest son, with drill bits...
    give me a day or so and I can have another one ready to post on here..

if it wasn't almost midnight, I'd go out and get it but it's so cold and dark out there..it's gotta wait at least till morning.

Becky .(*_*).

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Thanks, Becky! I don't think my friend as any pictures of the cute ones she made.

Jan, your shell ornaments sound very pretty too. I'll have to look up that glitter you suggested.

• jlily
    13 years ago

I am an old timer from Juily 2001. But I did not take part in the exchange. Just checking in to say that I am still kicking. LOL Jlily

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Here is a cool link to pics of someone else's exchange.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyon ornament swap on flickr

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

and another to a hand made ornament link party.
    Sorry no sea shell santa :(
    But these are fun things.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Under the Table and Dreaming ornament party

• lilycrazy
    12 years ago

I was around in those days too but didnt do the ornament exchange. I did participate in a couple Junk Trains which was lots of fun !!

• doodys
    12 years ago

sangaree_KS's album was the one who put the album together in Photobucket

• User
    12 years ago

I've been here since Garden Junk started. I was grannytoo_az back then. I've never joined in the exchanges either.

• Crafty Gardener
    12 years ago

Like others, I've been here a long time but don't participate in exchanges.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

I joined in Feb 2006, so the ornament exchange was before my time too. Otherwise I'd have saved the photos I'm sure.
    But if you google.com Sea Shell Santa ornament there should be quite a few ideas on there.

hugs, Karen

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

here's the link to a seller on Etsy who makes them.
    Might give you some ideas.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: oyster shell santa

• hengal
    12 years ago

I joined in 2005 and I took part in that ornament exchange - it was fun! I made little snowmen out of mini gourds. Don't have pics though. :(

• mamabear
    12 years ago

I was a Member then and did take part.
    Still have the mini-gourd Snowman.
    Might have the Oyster Shell Santa and just don't remember it.
    Remember I did have that Bad Accident in 2007.
    Couple of Brain Surgeries And I'm lucky to remember at All.
    LOL
    You Guys sent me orniments while I was in the Hospital.
    My x-mas Orniments are Packed away up in the Attic.
    Or I'd take pictures of them.
    Surely Someone else must have Photo's.....

• frances_ar
    12 years ago

I'm like some of the others, I've been here since '99, but never participated in the exchanges or the junk train. It was fun watching all the ones that did. Like you, the computer that had all of the stuff like that save, crashed years ago. I did save alot on floppy discs, but unfortunately, I don't have that drive on my computer now, nor does anyone I know. Sorry I couldn't help you.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

It's wonderful to hear from you,
    Mamabear! I have thought of you
    often. Glad to have you post again.