Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

Birdhouse for the Neighbors

lindasewandsew
12 years ago

A neighbor kept putting this old table on the curb and dragging it back up by her door. She didn't seem to want to get rid of it. I asked her for it one day when it was back on the curb, thinking it might make a good birdhouse. She gave it to me and it sat in my yard for about 2 years, looking more sad (or gathering more character) all the time. Finally got around to the birdhouse a few months ago.

Here's the old table.

{{gwi:201341}}

Put their names on it, of course.

{{gwi:201342}}

Flat Halloween kitty....

{{gwi:201343}}

Staring around the corner.

{{gwi:201344}}

It has a plywood roof with a little wood trim, topped with a metal piece cut from an old above ground pool.

{{gwi:201345}}

The roof is hinged, so it can be cleaned or used for storage.

{{gwi:201346}}

An old stove grate keeps it from sitting in water.

{{gwi:201347}}

Jorge and Clara have several pets, a dog, 3 or 4 cats, and a turtle that showed up in their yard years ago.

{{gwi:201348}}

Comments (20)

• chevy57red
    12 years ago

What an outstanding birdhouse!!
    Love all of the details!!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

amazing!
    I love it all, especially the halloween kitty and their names.
    Seeing what you do I can only wonder how anyone can ever throw anything away!
    Our garage has parts of a similar table, maybe next spring...
    TFS
    Kathy

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

I can't believe the unique items folks can come up with. This tops the charts!! The cat peeking around the corner is just the right touch. Thanks for posting pics

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

TOTALLY AWESOME . **Repeat this 50 times ** and this is how cool I think it is !

• azcactusflower
    12 years ago

That is absolute,total CUTENESS!!! I also love the cat peeking around the corner.I love birdhouses and this one is sooooo unique. TFS

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

OMGosh! How cute is that??? Love the kitty peeking around the corner...you are just too clever Linda! What a great job and what a wonderful gift for your neighbors! I'm sure they will love it too!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

So nice of you to make it so it can be birdhouse or storage! Critters make it so whimsical, love it! The stove grate is perfect for keeping it from rotting out on bottom. Another 1 of a kind gift!! Bet they will love it!! Jan

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Great recycling, linda! Cool table ...but even cooler birdhouse! always love seeing how you use license plates! & looks like you've added your neighbor's personalities to this old wood birdhouse! Love it! The stove grate...a great (grate) idea! I used one of those on a Barnwood Bloom & loved it! TFS! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:201349}}

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I meant to mention the stove grate too. Awesome idea. Jeanne I lov eyour barnyard bloom too! What is the flower made of? It looks like shell.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

crete...flower is a garage sale find...mosaic candleholder. Old barnwood...stem is recycled from patio umbrella...leaves cut from some shelf brackets.

sewandsew...I've still got a small stash of license plates & am going to try my hand at cutting sometime! Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Wonderful!!!!

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

Awesome! Loved how you personalized it to fit them! Where do you come up with the old license plates?

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again. Merry Christmas!

Jeanne, I love the flower and birdhouse. I haven't found stove grates that pretty.

Sandplum, Email me and I'll send you my license plate guy's email. He's a great guy and his prices are very good. It's nice knowing that I never have to hunt for plates again. Linda

• kacram
    12 years ago

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have loved to have seen their reactions!

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    12 years ago

What a wonderful arrangement of recyclables! And imagination.
    How do you get old license plates? The really give it a cute look.

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Kat and Ernie, Email me and I'll send you my plate guy's email address. He's the best.

Here's another house I made a couple years ago. Linda

{{gwi:201350}}

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Spectacular, sewandsew! You have such an imagination! Love this fishing one! Such vivid colors! Love it! TFS! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Oh I love this one too! Fabulous!
    And so creative, and funny.
    Kathy

• kim546
    12 years ago

These are fantastic...I never come across license plates, but wish I did!
    Blessings,Kim :)

• TwoMonths
    12 years ago

WOW that is certainly the cats meow...love it. How do they like it?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?