Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

Wine Cooler Planters

lindasewandsew
12 years ago

I started dragging home terracotta wine bricks (wine coolers) a long time ago. When the nearby video store closed, they threw away loads of racks. The racks are attached to the wrought iron on the fence, and the coolers fit perfectly. I drilled holes and of course, planted them with succulents.

{{gwi:201393}}

{{gwi:201395}}

There's another weird guy (or two) glaring at you, lol. Linda

{{gwi:201397}}

Comments (13)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I still use my wine cooler since I'm not the type to get a wine fridge on the patio! (or anywhere else for that matter).
    But I do see them still sometimes at TS and YS. Thanks for a great idea.
    Yours look wonderful!
    Kathy

• leafaholic
    12 years ago

I must not live in the right neighborhood I have never seen a wine cooler but what a great display

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, We live in a highly populated area, about 25 minutes east of Los Angeles. There is never a shortage of 'stuff' here at thrift stores, year round swap meets, on the curb, in dumpsters, etc. I found two of these yesterday going to about six thrift stores, but don't always get lucky.

Here's a link with some large gardens made with another kind of wine brick. These things are very expensive, and I've only seen one that my friend Edna found at an estate sale long ago. Look this up on Google Images and you'll see a lot more photos. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: A big wine cooler idea

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Love your idea.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Great looking containers...love them with the succulents and lined up against the black fence...very nice looking!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I've seen them a few times but didn't know what they were(thought they were for large kitchen utensils or something to do with Spanish cooking!) They make great planters & really look wonderful next to the black fence & brick!! Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

omg. Is that made out of wine cooler "wine racks". I've never seen such. Amazing.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Wow! I've never seen a wine cooler brick before! Those are beautiful! & love how you have them 'planted' along that gorgeous iron fence! (nice recycling of the wire racks to set them in)...beautiful! That pic in Spain you posted is unbelievable! Succulents look right at home!

I am envious that you never 'freeze' in your gardens! Everything is so wonderful! TFS, sewandsew! Jeanne S.

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful!
    Love the little moustachio-ed guy in the last photo.
    I posted a link to your Photobucket photos on the Thrift Store Thursday! Facebook page.

• freidaw
    12 years ago

Love your garden!

• keiki
    12 years ago

I just love the look from the side with the brick showing. The combination of the black fence, the planted coolers and the brick are great.

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

Those are really cool. I found two at a garage sale that had been retrofitted with light kits I use as outdoor floodlights in the summer. Wish I could find more of the coolers to make planters like yours!

Carol

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for the nice comments. I scored 6 of them this week. That's probably more than I ever found in a week. Usually, it's one or none. About 30 more will finish the front fence, then there will likely be another place they have to be, lol. Merry Christmas, Linda

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus