Houzz Logo Print
lax4u

Weed in new bermuda lawn, Help please

lax4u
12 years ago

Background Information:

1. Where you live? : Frisco, Texas

2. What type of grass you have? Bermuda

3. What products you have applied to your lawn, and how much? These include fertilizer, herbicide, fungicide, insecticide, etc.

On Jan 2, 2012 applied Sta Green winterizer Weed & Feed.

On Jan 21, 2012 applied Post Emergent ��" Celsius WG

4. How often and how long you irrigate?

ItâÂÂs a new sod installed in mid September 2011. So for the first month I was watering 4-5 days a week for the first month. Then next couple of month two days week and now its 1 day a week as Frisco city has water restrictions.

5. Is the lawn established, or have you recently seeded/re-seeded or added sod? If so, when?

ItâÂÂs a new construction house, Lawn was put in mid September 2011.

6. At what height you mow and how often?

So far I have mowed twice only since September 2011. Lawn is dormant now

7. If your problem is with weeds, what type of weeds?

Poa annua

8. How long you have noticed this problem and it is recurring?

Since Novmber 2011

Details:

My sod was installed in September, I did not put any pre emergent before fall. I December/January I saw weed everywhere in my lawn. Its mostly poa annua. So I applied above chemicals on the dates mentioned above. Questions:

a.Since I put two types of chemicals in one month will that kill my lawn?

b.Does Celsius WG works in winter? Its not really a winter in Frisco, Texas right now.

c.The person who spread the Celsius on Jan 21st said its going to take at least two weeks to see the effect. (its raining today though), is he telling me the truth?

d.I got the 20% Vinegar post emergent from neighborhood nursery, and just for trial and testing purpose I spread it on 4-5 weeds. Amazingly it killed those weeds in 2 days. Now since I have already spread Celsius just couple of days before, I donâÂÂt want to spray vinegar again, even though itâÂÂs organic. What do you think? What should I do?

Comments (6)

• grasshole
    12 years ago

All herbicides are going to work slower in cold weather. The Celsius my still do the job.

The easiest thing to do would be to wait and do nothing. Poa A will die off in the summer.

Another trick for winter weeds and Bermuda is to use round up if the Bermuda is dormant. But I stress TOTALLY DORMANT!!!!! If you're not sure, don't do it.

Then maintaining a pre emergent barrier year round will prevent it, and other annuals, from being a problem in the future. Split the total amount of pre emergent allowed per acre into 2 apps. One in the spring, one in the fall. Barricade, Dimension, and Amaze are all great pre emergents. Research the labels and see which best suits your needs.

Most important, google "texasweed" and "Bermuda Bible" together. Follow the Bible to the LETTER and you'll have great Bermuda.

• grasshole
    12 years ago

And for future reference, weed and feed products generally aren't the greatest.

You can get more bang for your buck and way better results by keeping feeding and weeding separate.

If you fertilize first, and really get the weeds growing, then you can come back a week or 2 later with a herbicide labeled to kill the weed in question. By fertilizing the weeds first, they will be vigorously growing and more readily take up the herbicide later.

Also, there is no need to apply fertilizer on dormant bermuda. That nitrogen was just wasted.

Don't fertilize bermuda when it is trying to go dormant, is dormant, or is trying to come out of dormancy. Only fertilize when it is actively growing.

All this will be covered in the Bermuda Bible, too.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Relax guy, no problem Mon. You got new sod laid late in the season, you are going to have weeds so get use to it.

Personally I would not worry about the Poa, but if it irritates you spray everything green with Round Up. Just make sure the Bermuda is dormant.

In the meantime relax until the end of February. Last week of February or first week of March Apply a product called AMAZE. It is a long half life Pre-Emergence herbicide. Water it in and relax for a few of weeks.

Once you are certain all chances of frost have past, get the lawn mower out and scalp the lawn down. I do not mean down to dirt, but enough to get all the dormant brown grass blades cut. Rake up all the debris and relax again for a few weeks until the weather warms up.

Once you see some green sprigs of Bermuda growing after it starts to warm up, apply your first fertilizer application using a balanced fertilizer. Go to your local Home Depot and buy some Lesco 20-5-10 or 15-5-10 to do the job. Apply at the proper rate of 5 pounds per 1000/ft2 and water it in.

From that point on find the BERMUDA BIBLE and follow the directions and RELAX.

• lax4u
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much. That really helped. I was just worried thinking that my lawn will be killed because of extra the chemicals i have used. Its 8000 Sq ft of lawn and i can�t afford to lose it.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Well you did about everything wrong, but Bermuda is tuff stuff. So no worries and no problem mon.

Most of your problems started when you laid the sod. Even though you can lay sod any time of year, there are better times than others. Late September for a warm season grass is about the worse time of year you can pick.

No offense but it sounds like you are a typical Dallas Texan transplanted from somewhere else like from up north or another country. My bet is you come from somewhere where lawn grass are the cool season varieties?

If that is correct you need to forget everything you know about lawn care because it does not apply to warm season grass. Get the BERMUDA BIBLE and read it. You have lots of time before the hard work starts like mowing 2 or 3 times a week in the heat of Dallas summer. Are you ready to do that?

• rager_w
    12 years ago

Amen to TW! I grew up in MI and after 15 years in GA, I'm starting to have a really nice Bermuda lawn...with TW's guidance of course.