Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! New Construction Lawn Seed or Sod?

Posted by TenorTim (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 7:35

We live in central MS. We moved into the house In late fall. Currently we don't have any grass... Just some weeds that grew during the construction last summer. We did quit a bit of dirt work on the site to build it up before construction so the yard has a pretty good slope to it. I'm trying to decide between seed or sod and want to be prepared to jump on this as soon as the winter rains subside. My concerns are that we will till up the site and then have erosion problems. I know the Sod would be a better option for that reason. The yard is about 1300 sq yards and the cheapest sod installer is asking $2500 to lay Bermuda. I know seed would be much cheaper, but I'm worried about taking that chance and having to bring in more dirt by the end of the summer, because the seed didn't take well enough and we had some major erosion. Anyone have any experience or advise?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! New Construction Lawn Seed or Sod?

I have had some success with erosion control by making SHALLOW ditches across the slope so it redirects the water on a better path down the slope. This slows the water flow and prevents erosion. These "ditches" only need to be an inch or so deep and a couple of feet apart, nothing that will effect the lawn when the grass is grown.

The idea is to get the water off of the slope so there will never be a rushing mini torrent in any one place.

If there is a large flow down the slope that will have to be handled first, and then the minor water flows can be handled with the ditches described above.

o

Do not till. It will take a few years for the ground to settle afterward leaving uneven areas. Just scrape the area (box blade is great) level and seed or sod.

o

DO NOT TILL, just to follow up and agree with neliaz. If the contractors left your soil surface uneven, then the box blade is the universal solution.

If you sod, you can do that any time from now on. If you decide to go with seed, wait until mid June. Bermuda seed needs hot soil (not hot air) to germinate. That would give you many more months to worry about erosion. Until then you can just mow the weeds and practice taking care of it like it was Buckingham Palace.

Seeded bermuda and sodded bermuda are two different varieties of plant. They do not mix well in a yard, so think about that before you go buy any seed. Never seed bermuda to patch up a thin spot of hybrid (sod) bermuda.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here