Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Consequences of sprinklers running 48+ hours straight?

Posted by BlackAce Florida, 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 9:27

This is more out of curiosity than anything else. The sprinkler system for the green space area next to our house has been on since Wednesday evening (it is now Saturday morning). I walked the lot yesterday to take a look, and as you would expect, there is standing water on the sod, and pooled around the trees. I alerted the HOA yesterday afternoon, which they were grateful for and they said they contacted the landscape company to come fix. Being the weekend, I'm not sure what will actually transpire.

Aside from a water bill that I can't even begin to imagine, are there any consequences or potential issues due to this mistake? While it's not our lot, we do have a vested interest in how it looks since we paid a big lot premium to put our house next to it, and the way it looks is important to us in that regard. Additionally, any potential ill effects due to runoff that we might see in our lot?

Should I try to shut off the water at the street as a good citizen, or will that potentially cause damage to the system itself?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Consequences of sprinklers running 48+ hours straight?

Absolutely yes, it will affect the soil. By cutting off the oxygen to the beneficial soil fungi, they will die. When they are gone the soil will become more like swamp soil than lawn soil. Different types of plants and grasses will grow. One of the worst is nut grass.

o

• Posted by mondo Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 12:08

I disagree, no different than a hard several day rain stormn that nature provides. If it is not a repeated situation, just let it dry out and monitor.

o

Good point, mondo. If it is a one time event, and you get it cut off, the long term result will be 'normal.' I guess I was thinking of the situation where there is a low spot on the lawn that repeatedly collects water and holds it for days at a time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here