Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Tough grass for MUD/clay & dogs

Posted by mvaussies 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 9:42

I bought near Bervard NC. At least this summer it rained about every other day on CLAY.(it is a mirco climatic area known for wet) I'm looking to seed a large area for my dogs. And by that, I mean 5 or more, VERY active Performance Australian Shepherds. I have gone to, I am putting in a good sized gravel area for total rainy days, as I just can't keep them in for long periods. I read that fescues are tough, but they always talking about drought tough, not drowning tough!

At this point I'm planing to add sand to the top layer to see if once the roots lock in, that will help stabilize it some. When I was Up in western NY, I had clay too, but dry spells there. On the path to the dog pen I spread gravel & let the grass grow up through that That worked a lot. Has anyone ever tried growing grass through something like the heavy open weave snow fence? Say for traffic areas? I've seen the flat kind(has areas of solid plastic) & then a heavy diamond pattern kind.

I would like to know what type mix, seed to use after all this work. It is zoned 6.5 I have many trees, but am thinning them out slowly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Tough grass for MUD/clay & dogs

The best ground cover for your dogs is bark. Heh, heh! Do you see what I did there?

Seriously, there isn't any grass that can stand up to even one active dog...in the shade. When I was a kid my aging pug would even wear a path through the lawn. Forget about gravel, too. Bark is better. Find a tree trimmer who uses an onsite chipper/shredder and get him to dump a load of chipped trees into your dog yard. The beauty of chipped trees is you get more than just the bark. When the entire tree is chipped you get just the right amount of material to support microbial life. Bark alone does not make a very good mulch. Spread that around and forget about everything. It is no maintenance at all. Dogs love it and it works by itself to improve the soil. I would put in several inches to a foot if you have the depth to do that.

o
RE: A Tough grass for MUD/clay & dogs

Yup. Look for free wood chips by tree trimmers if you want to save a lot of money. Be prepared to haul 8 cubic yards if you have the space or share it with neighbors. That many dogs and grass do not mix very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here