Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvaussies

A Tough grass for MUD/clay & dogs

mvaussies
11 years ago

I bought near Bervard NC. At least this summer it rained about every other day on CLAY.(it is a mirco climatic area known for wet) I'm looking to seed a large area for my dogs. And by that, I mean 5 or more, VERY active Performance Australian Shepherds. I have gone to, I am putting in a good sized gravel area for total rainy days, as I just can't keep them in for long periods. I read that fescues are tough, but they always talking about drought tough, not drowning tough!

At this point I'm planing to add sand to the top layer to see if once the roots lock in, that will help stabilize it some. When I was Up in western NY, I had clay too, but dry spells there. On the path to the dog pen I spread gravel & let the grass grow up through that That worked a lot. Has anyone ever tried growing grass through something like the heavy open weave snow fence? Say for traffic areas? I've seen the flat kind(has areas of solid plastic) & then a heavy diamond pattern kind.

I would like to know what type mix, seed to use after all this work. It is zoned 6.5 I have many trees, but am thinning them out slowly.

Comments (2)