Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
overfloater_gw

New lawn need Spring pre-emergent?

Overfloater
10 years ago

Hi,

I renovated my tiny postage stamp lawn last year and everything turned out great. This year I am going to try organics for fertilizers however I am curious if a crabgrass pre-emergent would be recommended in my particular case.

I renovated in early September after a roundup kill of everything. Prior to the renovation I had about 30% crabgrass however none came back after the renovation (as expected). While it was going strong through out the summer I was religious about mowing it so there were almost no seedheads. There was a tiny bit of nutsedge and clover also but the crabgrass was the major issue.

The lawn is pretty thick in most areas so I don't think crabgrass in the Spring should be much of an issue. I'm not sure though. I have been mulch mowing at 3". Here is a picture from October.

Thoughts?

This post was edited by Overfloater on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 10:29

Comments (4)

• tnjdm
    10 years ago

The lawn looks great overfloater. There are probably thousands of weed seeds lurking in that top 1" of soil just waiting for the warmth to sprout. It's probably best to do a little prevention, then having to battle the potential weeds. On the other hand, it may not be bad battling them if you elect not to pre-emerge since the lawn is small.

Even though I pound my lawn with organics, I just can't stop from putting down pre-emergents 3 to 4 times a year as trying to hand pick weeds out on 11K sq. ft. is no fun.

• CDUB2020
    10 years ago

I would recommend pre-emergent at least for the first year. After that, you are almost assured that any further seed load will be negligible. That may mean an app in spring and one early summer depending on pre-emergent choice.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

If you have a dense turf and you are not watering more than once every 2-3 weeks in the spring, you should not have weeds. Of course Mother Nature might rain on that parade.

If you get a rain that lasts for a few days, that would be the time to apply a preem. The preem does not stop weeds from germinating, it stops the seedlings from developing a root system. The seeds need the rain to sprout, so apply when you get that continual rain for a couple days and your timing should be perfect.

• Overfloater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone.

We tend to have wet Springs around here so chances are good that the weeds will get what they are wishing for. :) Therefore I think a pre-emergent is a good idea, at least for the first year as CDUB suggested.

The other factor is the fact that I have no idea what the turf will look like once all the this snow melts. It might be thinned out or in other worrying shape.

I left it at 3" for the Winter and I applied Urea in late November after top growth stopped so hopefully it should get going well once the weather starts warming up.

Should I cut it short for the first cut of the year? I read somewhere that it's a good idea to cut off all the dead top growth from the Winter.

What do you recommend for pre-emergent? Thanks.

Regards,
    Robert