Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda lawn

Posted by Penguins South Carolina (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 11:42

I have a Bermuda lawn that is worn bare in large areas mostly due to kids playing football, & rain runoff.
A few years ago I had a landscape company put down sand to encourage the Bermuda to spread and cover the bare spots. It worked a bit, but for the most part I still have large bare/thin spots, now just more sand than dirt. I've tried new seed but that hasn't made a big difference as the seed has never really germinated or filled in fully.
1) Any tips on seeding? Lay down a layer of topsoil first?
2) Can I lay new Bermuda sod over the current? Do I need to top-dress the lawn with sand or dirt before laying the sod.
We've had this lawn for about 13 years and its always been very thin and not a lush as others in the neighborhood, despite plenty of watering & fertilizing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda lawn

Penguin a couple of pictures would help if that's possible. How much sun is your lawn getting at least 8 hours full sun? Does the area stay wet for long periods of time? What time of year does the yard get the most traffic? Why seeded bermuda?

o
RE: Bermuda lawn

Yes! All those same questions and observations. You can seed into a shady lawn from now on and never be satisfied. You might need something else.

Also, where do you live in South Carolina?

And since you have bermuda, you can begin this journey by searching for the Bermuda Bible online. Memorize it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here