Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neo82

Lawn care for newly built home

neo82
9 years ago

Let me start with this - I am very newbie for any kind of garden work but I am interested :-)

I am moving into a newly built home in North Texas. My builder has put a lawn in but it's all dry right now.

What steps should I take right now or in coming months to make sure in spring my grass come back alive well?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why dont you get the name of the sub contractor from the builder... and get some specifics ...

like what the soil is..

what if any soil was added on top ...

what the actual grass is ...

etc ..

based on all you have told us right now.. i suggest watering ...

a pic might get you a grass ID here ...

ken

• neo82
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken. I'll check with builder. Mean time from builder website I found out that I have 'golf course grade 419 tiff bermuda grass'.

• mightyquinnaty
    9 years ago

When my house was built in 2006 it was laid with Tifway 419 in January. Do you have an irrigation system? Just make sure the soil stays moist and doesn't dry out too much while it is dormant. Once the temperatures start to rise in March/April and you see little shoots of grass popping up start watering it every other day or every day if it is going to be hot, you may also want to add some starter fertilizer or some 10-10-10 at about 5 lbs per 1K. Do that until you can't easily pull the sod up by hand, then you can back off the water and start mowing it around 1-1.5".

A soil test would be helpful to know what your soil needs and that can be done now. Without one you can just add about 1 lb of nitrogen per month and make sure you mow at least twice a week once the grass starts taking off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read This

• neo82
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

And when MQ suggests backing off on watering, he's talking about watering frequency. Once the lawn is established you should water it a full inch at a time, but only infrequently. The biggest mistake people make is watering too frequently. In the hottest heat of summer you should be watering only once per week.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!