Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmo84

Weed identification

tmo84
9 years ago

Hi all,
There's a rather large patch of this weed (clover?) in my lawn. It hasn't died this winter and was wondering if any of you could kindly identify what I am dealing with and how to get ride of it?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

I believe that is creeping Charlie. Several applications of Round Up is the easiest way to get rid of it. The only alternative I've heard of was digging it out inch by inch. and that involved going over the inches you dug out last week over again to be sure you got it all. The problem with CC is the dense mat of roots. You have to get all those out and they are very fragile. RU is a better option.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

By the way, spraying Round Up kills everything, so it becomes a redo. If you can wait until next August to start this project, seeding with new grass seed will be much more successful than if you tried in the spring.

• grasshole
    9 years ago

WHOA!!!! Tap the brakes on the Round up!!!!

There are selective herbides that can be used for creeping charlie!!!!

Try looking at Weedbgon CCO. Google it. Read the label and see if it looks like something you could use for your situation and grass type.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

My suggestion was based on people writing in here who have tried Weed-b-gone. It doesn't cost much to try it, though. Be sure you get the CCO (clover, chickweed, and oxalis in the name).

• forsheems
    9 years ago

I've had really good success using CCO (main ingredient is Triclopyr) on creeping charlie. Make sure you use a surfactant like baby shampoo in the mix to make it stick. A couple treatments about 2 weeks apart should take care of it.

If it's only a couple small patches you can use straight Round Up (aka Glyphosate) and apply it to each individual leaf with a small paint brush. This method will kill it really quick without damaging the surrounding grass but is extremely time consuming if you have much of it to deal with.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

Tenacity does a number on it as well, if it's creeping Charlie. Not quickly, and you do have to keep after it a bit, but it works.

• tmo84
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys - it's a rather large area of the lawn...I'd hate to have to start fresh but maybe that needs to be done. Was hoping the fescue and KBG would over grow it!

• forsheems
    9 years ago

The Weeb-B-Gon CCO will work in your case without doing any damage to the fescue and KBG. Unfortunately the grass probably won't be able to overrun the creeping charlie without some help from you. I would go ahead and get started on it.

FYI, there is also some stuff out there called Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer that contains the same ingredient (8% Triclopyr) as the CCO. I buy whichever is the least exspensive at the time.

• andy10917
    9 years ago

I'm not totally convinced that it is ground ivy (creeping charlie) That could also be henbit or purple deadnettle - or even escaped ajuga (bugleweed) from someone's great idea of a groundcover. The color is not right right for ground ivy, but who knows what ground ivy looks like in January in MA.

If it *is* ground ivy, Triclopyr will work for sure, with 2 or 3 apps. If it isn't ground ivy and it doesn't respond to Triclopyr, pay attention to when it blooms and the color of the blooms.

Triclopyr will not work well in winter or summer, as the plant's metabolism is too slow those times of year. Around Labor Day is the best time to attack it.

If you use the Poison Ivy Killer instead of the CCO (both are 8% Triclopyr), the instructions are different on the label. The amounts to apply are 2X as much on the Poison Ivy Killer label -- that is too strong for the lawn. Use the instructions from the CCO label.

RoundUp isn't necessary to kill ground ivy.

• forsheems
    9 years ago

Thanks for catching that one Andy. I've used enough of the stuff I know what the correct mix is without reading the label and forgot the instructions are different. The CCO is 1 ounce per gallon of water which is also how you would mix the Poison Ivy killer for the lawn. Have no idea why there is such a price difference but the PI killer is normally $2 to $3 cheaper per bottle around here than the CCO.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Whatever it is, my info on creeping Charlie was hopelessly out of date. Thanks for the updates, y'all.

One thing you can be sure of is that fescue and Kentucky bluegrass will not overtake creeping Charlie.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

Hey, I like Bugleweed! It'll grow where nothing else will.

Of course, it'll also grow where you want something else to grow, but, well...