Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

buying Bermuda seed

aggierose
9 years ago

We need new grass and don't want to buy sod for financial reasons. There's only about 400 square feet to cover. I assume the rest of my grass is tiff 419 since the builder put it in (10 years ago) so that's the kind of seed I'd like. Where is the best place to buy a small amount of good quality seed? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• mightyquinnaty
    9 years ago

Tifway can NOT be grown from seed. If you have only 400 sq/ft to cover that is ONE pallet of sod that should run you around $100 and will fit in the bed of a pick up truck. Right now would be a good time to buy since it's the off season. You can lay sod when it is dormant too.

If you still want to seed, look at seedland.com or hancockseed.com. You will want to get one of the higher end seeds like Princess 77 or LaPrima XD but they will NOT match your existing Tifway 419.

• apundt-tx
    9 years ago

cheapest route would be to dig 3in x 3in plugs from your existing bermuda lawn and transplant them into the area that you are wanting to seed.

what you don't want to spend in sodding($100.00) you will be providing yourself in free labor(5 hours x $20/hour)....

• aggierose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info. Out of curiosity, I know Bermuda needs full sun, but do any of the varieties perform well with a little bit of shade? Also, am I correct in assuming that my builder probably installed tiff 419?

I live in the Dallas area and the cheapest I have found a pallet was $150 plus tax. If anyone knows a place that sells it for $100 here, please let me know. Thanks!

• mightyquinnaty
    9 years ago

Is that $150 if you pick it up? Seems kind of high to me. Yes if your builder laid bermuda sod it was 99% chance it was Tifway 419.

How much shade are we talking about here? 419 needs at least 6-8 hours of sun to grow and be healthy. There is Celebration and TifGrand that are suppose to be "shade tolerant" but still need a lot of sun to be healthy just not as much as 419 would.

• apundt-tx
    9 years ago

http://www.txsod.com/members.asp
    On the left hand side scroll down to celebration{{gwi:807}} bermuda.
    There are lots of side farms to call.
    In austin i usually get it from king ranch turfgrass.
    They will haul it from crosby with other orders to austin then i pick it up at the south austin office. Maybe 125 when i bought it a few years ago.
    I have traveled to brookshire for another pallet once but i happened to be delivering something in that area.

This post was edited by apundt-tx on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 18:27

• apundt-tx
    9 years ago

This guy is on craiglist in your area and installs tiff for 130. https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/4845691155.html

• aggierose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apundt, I'm actually asking about the sun requirements for a different part of my yard. My back yard is starting to thin out slightly due to the trees getting larger. I was just wondering if there was another Bermuda that would do better and if so if I can seed over the existing grass. The back still gets a lot of sun, but not full sun. We should probably just switch to St. Augustine, but I dint think it would do well due to our strict water restrictions in the summer.

• mightyquinnaty
    9 years ago

If it is for under a tree your only two options are to either make it a flower/mulch bed around the drip line of the tree or thing the tree out by removing some branches to let more sunlight in. Probably cheaper and easier in the long run just to make a mulch bed and not have to fight the grass to keep it alive.

• wrager
    9 years ago

There is Shadow Turf as an option. It is only sold as plugs. It's very pricey and slow to spread. It does well in shade and looks pretty close to 419. I planted one flat three years ago in heavy shade. It looks quite good now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turffalo

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Another approach would be to sprig in some 419. Basically you buy one or two pieces of sod, wash away the soil, chop up the remaining grass, rhizomes, and stolons, scatter the chopped up chaff over the new area, lightly cover it with a scant dusting of sand, and start watering. Look on this forum for more about that. There's a guy in Australia who came up with the process.