Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of pest?

Posted by slade8200 North shore, MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 14:15

In addition to the fact that it feels like I'm walking on golf balls, I have a few areas where I see these 'tracks' in the lawn. I have a picture of it below. I also have a mulch area that goes along the whole lawn and there are always new holes appearing in it. How should I put a stop to this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of pest?

Could be moles. They tunnel shallow unlike the pocket gophers here in California. I used a cinch mole trap to catch the gophers though.

o

Those appear to be Vole tracks, not moles. You had snow cover, didn't you?

o

We did, it has melted the past few days. Some of these tracks are new, like they were made while snow was on the ground, some of them I noticed in the fall.

o

Yup. Voles - 90% certain. And yes, those are the runways under the snow. They will also make them when the grass grows taller than 3" or so.

o

So should I get some poison pellets or something like that? Every year I put down the grub killer but it doesn't seem to do anything.

o

Grub killer? For voles? How are those related? A simple search for Voles in Google returns 789,000 results. That's a great place to start.

o

I've read a lot about it. That's why I'm on this forum, there's a lot of talk about how to get rid of them but nothing about the success of any of the methods. I was hoping to find someone who says "yeah do this, it works."

I said grub killer cause I was under the impression that the voles feast on the grubs, so killing the grubs would get rid of the voles.

o

You have to be careful when reading about voles - some of the material will mix up material from moles. That's a big mistake. Voles eat plant material (in winter, they eat seeds, bulbs and root material). They damage the roots of my hosta beds.

I have had some luck with getting them to move elsewhere by applying castor oil between the first frost of the year and when the ground freezes. It won't work now, and I don't know what will work in mid-winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here