Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first home with a lwan turning brown

Posted by iliketerrariums (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 12 at 14:33

OK, bought a house with a front lawn. The lawn goes from the front wall of the home to the pavement where its elevated with a brick wall that keeps it level with the house. The lawns been looking great from the end of summer to the begining of fall, thats when it started turning brown towards the front end, the brown area starts at the brick wall, it extends from side to side and about 2 feet from the brick wall towards the house, the rest is still green but for some small patches of browm. I watered the lawn when my neighbors did theirs but theirs is still green but for some smaller patches of brown.(like mine) I would be thinking its just the fall if it wasn't for a majority of the other lawns looking really green! Maybe its just a case of "the grass is greener!" What say you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first home with a lwan turning brown

I am going to guess and say you have cool season grass (tall fescue) that is green with some warm season grass (maybe wild Bermuda) mixed in that is now going dormant and brown. See it all of the time. Look at the differences in the blades of grass and Google Bermuda and tall turf type fescue (TTTF) and see if this looks to be the case. If so what will naturally happen over time is the Bermuda will eventually take over the fescue.

o

Where are you located? I agree with grassboro, but if you are in more northern lattitudes then zoysia would be more likely over bermuda. I live in CT and there are plenty of people that have zoysia patches, or even whole lawns up here that are currently light brown. Either way, you will have to kill the warm season grass if the patches bother you, and if that's the case, then pray that you have zoysia.

o

"and if that's the case, then pray that you have zoysia"

Now that is funny!! I am still laughing. And the sad thing is, it is true.

o

Or it could be a mix of Kentucky bluegrass (going dormant in the winter) and fescue, which remains green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here