Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda Wars: Arrival of Cold Temp Calvarly

Posted by lateriser Central VA 7A (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 15:45

I have been doing reading which has said that cold temperatures can kill bermuda. In my hopeless war against bermuda, how bad can I expect the damage to be to the bermuda in my fescue lawn from the freezing temperatures. To give you an idea, the temperature in my area has been a low of 18, 12, 13, 12, 19, and 19 over the last week. Can I expect Bermuda to not return to my South and East facing lawns this spring? Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda Wars: Arrival of Cold Temp Calvarly

They will come back...

It'd take a lot colder than that to do a lot of damages.

o

The killer for Bermuda Grass is for the ground to Freeze and how deep it freezes. If the roots are completely frozen, then it will not come back. Any root not frozen will come back.

Bermuda roots can run deep, and can reach down some 4 to 12 feet in areas where it grows vigorously with mild or no winters.

o

Supposedly it was cold enough in Dallas a few winters ago to kill some bermuda. Anyone know how that worked out? Did it come back by itself?

o

Made me a fortune, but most notable was Saint Augustine kill was far more serious. I calculated 50% of SA was wiped out.

o

Bermuda continues to thrive in Socorro NM ... and it's had many series of days below 20.

Face it, the stuff is immortal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here