Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing Raleigh North Carolina

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 15:48

I have not lived in eastern North Carolina for about 10 years and then in Wilmington on the southern coast.

With the temperatures now in the 70's, but with the possibility of more freezes, when would be the best time to fertilize my yard. Some of the grass appears to be greening up, and some actually seems to have started growing.

Should I wait until late February or go ahead and do it now?

We live about 20 miles east of Raleigh NC.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing Raleigh North Carolina

Wait at least until you have mowed real grass for the second time. Mowing weeds does not count. If you fertilize before the grass roots are really perking, then you are only fertilizing the weeds. Waiting until the second mowing ensures your roots are ready. If you fertilize even before the weeds get going, then you are completely wasting the fertilizer, because none of the roots are ready to take up the nutrition.

If you are using organic fertilizer, then you can apply that any time. Why? Because organic does not feed the plant directly. It feeds the soil microbes which, in turn, will feed the plants when they are ready.

Agricultural grass growers wait until the initial flush of fast growth is over and the grass seems to slow down. Sometimes this is as late as Memorial Day (about 6 months from now).

o
RE: Fertilizing Raleigh North Carolina

Thanks

It is nice to be outside now and I am looking for something to do in the yard. About the only thing I can do now is pick up winter trash. (We had high winds last night) and drive the tractor through the rough areas of the yard, to keep it charge and maintain the paths.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here