Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda - Laid in Winter Months in Central Texas

Posted by TexBermuda1 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 16:04

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and I did a search before posting the TOPIC and did not find what I was looking for. I live in Central Texas - Austin area and I just moved into a new home in Dec. My Bermuda sod was laid in late Nov and I have been on a watering schedule of twice a day since the lawn was laid. The grass is currently dormant. We just had our first real cold spell last week and I am wondering should I put on fertalizer and if so what kind. This is my first experience with bermuda grass. Thanks for all the help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda - Laid in Winter Months in Central Texas

I moved into a new house in central Texas ( west of bee cave off 71) a few weeks ago. First thing I did was turn off sprinkler system. It's just a waste of water. I suggest you do the same. We had a lot of rain last week that should keep ground moist for a good while for the new roots. Yes, they grow new roots as I've found out when I planted trees after removing Bermuda sod pieces. Bermuda doesn't really start growing till high temp reaches 80s daily which is when you first fertilize. Look for Texasweed's Bermuda Bible. It will tell you how to take care of it.

o

Thanks Lou, sprinkler system is now off. I'll search for TexasWeeds Bermuda Bible.

o

Well welcome to the neighborhood. What kind of Bermuda do you guys have?

o

Probably 419 but I have a grove of escarpment live oak in the corner of back yard are in huge plant bed. Not sure how Bermuda will do. Just have to observe it while sun moves further north. St aug is not allowed by Hoa but its in the backyard so... Perhaps palisades zoysia that is supposedly okay for semi-shade.

o

Quit watering the grass before you kill it. There is nothing for you to do right now except wait to see signs of life come spring.

o

Dang Lou. We're practically neighbors now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here