Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austin_ag06

New to Home Ownership

Austin_Ag06
11 years ago

Hi I bought a new construction home in San Antonio, TX in July of last year and struggled with my lawn a bit. I'm hoping to start the year off right this year and I had a couple questions. First off, I have Celebration Bermuda.

I've read through the Bermuda Bible and I have a couple questions. Well with the warm weather we have been having in San Antonio, my grass is just starting to green up in a few places. When is a good time to go ahead and scalp the yard down?

Also, I bought Amaze pre-emergent herbicide last week and I was told to wait until around the end of February to apply it. Is this still correct given the warm weather we are having in Texas?

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm just trying to get my lawn off to a good start this year.

Comments (8)

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

If your grass is already greening up, you should have scalped it down yesterday before it started to green up. Still time so get it done. Do you intend to maintain at 1-inch or less?

Scalp it down and get the AMAZE out ASAP. Just be aware you will need another application of AMAZE come about late May early June, and then again in October if you want year round protection.

• Austin_Ag06
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply Texas Weed. When I say that it is starting to green up, I mean that I can just barely notice a small hint of green here and there through out the yard.

By the way, I probably won't be maintaining the yard very short since I have a rotary mower.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

OK just set the rotary mower 1 or 2 notches lower than you intend to maintain at. DO NOT mow so low that the blade hits dirt. That IS NOT not what Scalp means. Scalp is a notch or two lower than normal. If it is a bagger, use the bag, otherwise be sure to rake up the clippings and debris. Then fertilize and apply AMAZE.

Since you are new to Bermuda, think real hard how low you want to maintain the grass. At 1-1/2 inches you are looking at mowing about twice a week. I do not recommend you go any higher than 1-1/2 inches. FWIW at 1-inch or less and you looking at 3 or more times a week mowing. So be careful what you ask for.

Good Luck

TW

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

I put out a preem in San Antonio about 3 1/2 weeks ago right after the rain. I already had some spurge getting started. My St Aug is growing in the back.

What part of San Antonio are you in? Some parts are colder and stay cold longer.

• Austin_Ag06
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm really glad I came here to ask these questions. Everyone I asked previously said to put the pre emergent out at the end of February.

I'm in the Schertz area. What about you?

• Austin_Ag06
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do have one more question for your guys.

I didn't have enough time last night to mow and put out the Amaze (I plan to put it out tonight). The label says to apply 2.5 - 3.5 lbs per 1000 SF. I have a Scotts Edgeguard spreader and if I'm reading the Amaze label correctly, I should have the dial set on 6 for 2.5 or 7 for 3.5.

Does this sound right? I wasn't able to find much information by searching online.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

Set your dial at half the recommended setting and make two passes.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

You are in a slightly cooler area but not by much. I was thinking you might be on the SA northwest side going up the hill or even in the Hill Country. I am in the Quarry Market area.

If you want to get some pretty good gardening info, listen to Bob Webster on AM 550 on Saturday and Sunday mornings (early). He really has his timing down pretty well.