Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morpheuspa

Dormant Seeding!

It looks like our warm(er) snap is finally breaking, and temperatures will fall back into the forties tomorrow and thirties thereafter.

I dormant-seeded about two-thirds of the lawn this evening...and the other third tomorrow during the day.

Wish me luck! There's still about 100 square feet that could use some help, and a few spots otherwise where the weeds outcompeted the grass.

Comments (6)

• gbig2
    16 years ago

There's Morpheus! Glad you brought up dormant seeding. I was curious as to the best time to do it in PA. I'll rake the dead crabgrass patches away and drop seed tomorrow. My results are way better than I had expected! I'll be posting before and after pics this spring. Hopefully everyone else who renovated will as well. I'll have before and after shots that will both amaze and horrify you. :)
    It's amazing how good the KBG looks already even though it's winter. It's already a nice dark green, darker than the neighbors' 4 year old established lawns.
    Thanks again Morpheus and everyone else for the help last fall.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

I think your timing is good. I'm planning to dormant seed soon, also. I'm taking a chance and waiting for one more warm spell.

Please post before and after pics if possible!

-Deerslayer

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

My $.02 - I think this time of year for most folks that experience cold temps can dormant seed (I plan to spot seed also). If a bird can drop a weed seed in January and it go crazy in June, I'm sure tossing some seed out this time of year will have "some" positive affects. Seeds will find a way to germinate...unless the soil area is not suitable (very important).

• zhotster
    16 years ago

I wish I could dormant seed soon. We've gotten so much snow and cold temps it looks like snow will be here well into March. My renovation last falls needs some help, so I plan on spring seeding some rough spots. I ordered Tupersan concentrate last night to hopefully limit the crabgrass in the area with weak coverage. I'm crossing my fingers for a few days of 45 degree weather to melt the snow so I can get some seed down by the end of February. I'll spray the Tupersan when the temps get ripe for germination.

Good luck everyone!

• lutzd79
    16 years ago

zhoster,

If you don't mind me asking...where did you get your Tupersan concentrate from? I am looking for something that will allow me to dormant seed and control the crabgrass. Thanks in advance!!!

• zhotster
    16 years ago

lotzd79,

No problem at all. I did quite a bit of searching for this, and I found most options that combined fertilizer with Tupersan. I really didn't want that, nor did I want to pay for shipping fertilizer to my house. I ordered online from Hummert International @ www.hummert.com. I ordered the 4 lb concentrate that I can mix in my backpack sprayer. The mix itself is 1 1/2 to 4 1/2 oz. per 1,000 sq.ft. in 2 1/2 gals. of water. It's a little spendy, but I wanted to reapply 2-3 times in the spring. I plan on spot spraying the bare or thin spots that I'm seeding only.

You can buy Tupersan mixed with fertilizer in bags covering 5,000 sq feet for $35 or so per bag. It made more sense to me to buy the concentrate. The fertilizer mix I found is made by Preen and it's called the "New Lawn Crabgrass Preventer Plus Seed Starter Fertilizer". It's also sold by Greenview under a similar name.

There may be a less expensive way to find this concentrate, I'd love to hear of one. I did look over the net a few times this winter and felt the need to pull the trigger this weekend.