Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is Killing My Lawn? Devastated

Posted by ms222 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 18:02

I live in South Florida and when I moved into a new home in February of 2012 the front yard was all weeds/dirt so I paid a gardening company to re-sod the whole front lawn. It looked great this whole time, and in the last month it is almost completely dead with brown patches all over the place. It is devastating.

I checked my sprinklers and there is adequate coverage of water. I water every Wednesday and Saturday (First 90 days I watered 4-5 times a week for the new sod) and I water for 12 minutes at 6:00 A.M.

Now in certain parts of the front lawn I have these weeds that have grown in all over (Do I pick them out..it's hard without killing the actual grass) and there's dying patches all over the front lawn.

How can I figure out what is killing everything, revive it, and protect the grass from this happening again?

I am really tight with money right now, otherwise I'd hire a professional to diagnose and repair. Thank you so much guys!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is Killing My Lawn? Devastated

Please note... I'm no whiz at this. But that looks like Dollarweed in the first picture. As for the rest, I've only MYSELF ever seen that patchiness with grubs (when I lived in Michigan) and Chinch Bugs here in Florida.

o
RE: What is Killing My Lawn? Devastated

You're overwatering for this time of year...or any time of year. This time of year you should be watering once per month and applying a full inch when you do. 12 minutes is likely not a full inch. With my sprinklers it takes 8 hours to get an inch. My neighbor gets an inch in 20 minutes. You'll have to measure yours - with cat food or tuna cans. In the hottest heat of summer you might need to go to once every 5 days but once every 7 days is usually all you need.

Also raise your mower to the highest setting for St Augustine. You never need to lower it. It will take a few weeks for all the grass to get up to that tall, but it will be worth it.

Your dead grass is from a fungus from over watering. I use ordinary ground corn meal to kill disease in my St Aug. It works every year for me.

Your dollar weed needs a spray specifically made for St Augustine. There is a black bottle with a purple label at Walmart. Sorry I can't remember the brand (maybe Spectracide). That should work and not damage the St Aug too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here